Thread: AVG 8 OMG!

Threaded View

Question AVG 8 OMG!

I suppose I am like many of you and have used AVG (formerly Grisoft) for a number of years with complete or at least reasonable satisfaction.

Well, all bets are off right now?

I downloaded and installed AVG 8.0 with no problem. Sure, a couple of things didn't automatically start, but an update soon sorted that.

Sooooooooooooo.............................. I let it run (using FF 2) and had a looksee.

Well, I really love that dropdown spam serving feature........... honestly I do

Then I find that my Zone Alarm reports that Avgcmgr.exe is wanting to get a thing called "Prevalence Reporter" launched onto the internet??????????? wtf?

"The computer says NO!"............ so it tries again about half an hour later??? wtf?

I checked 9 of these attempts:

6 = Various Google addresses
    1 = The Planet.com (Houston TX)
    1= Internet Systems Consortium (CA)
    1= BBC News Online UK (yeah, for real!)

You might have noticed that none of those are AVG addresses?

What this crap is supposed to do is to look at websites that you pull up in a
    search engine that appear "dodgy" and report it back..... but to whom, and what else goes with it?

Sooooooooooooo I takes me a closer look ............................

Apparently this crap send these dodgy site results back to whoever they feel?

What do they send?............. I cannot be bothered to find out.......... given that deleting AVG free and replacing it is a much easier solution.

Oh! I did have a look around the internet........... site owners really love the way it increases their hits, screws their statistics and their bandwidth bills

It actually increases your bandwidth bills........... and that of sites that are visited?

Has any sub-moron wondered why the AO site visit values have increased?

Use FF and just suspend the AVG stuff?

Last edited by nihil; June 27th, 2008 at 10:10 PM.