Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keyboard Threat

Just be careful liberating these keyloggers. If you get caught, they might think you put it there.
    sandwich.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by CyberB0b
    Just be careful liberating these keyloggers. If you get caught, they might think you put it there.
    lol i was caught removing one earlier last year, i was lucky that the person at the cafe had a idea about tech stuff so a quick explanation, a review or the security tape revealed i was clear.

They discovered it was one of there other staff members whom was stealing ebay / paypal credentials.

And johnno, i have not tried nor thought about trying out the microwave suggestion. I would throw one in the microwave but i'm sure the missus would tear me a new one if i destroyed this microwave like i did the last one..

Mee and my crazy ideas

Banned
    I'd setup a purely open wireless network with the idea that I can both view and edit the content people are browseing. Restruants and cafe's shouldn't have any problem doing the same thing.

Keylogging sounds so uh... 1990s.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Good idea there ... Well I went to an internet cafe yesterday jsut to see the setup and their cases were in a closed container so I couldnt really check...

Where do you get these hardware key loggers, I am sure they are used for legal purposes for something and are freely available?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I'd setup a purely open wireless network
    That would imply that you were the administrator?

Keylogging sounds so uh... 1990s.
    Yes, just as wiretaps and bugs are 1940/50s, but they are still used today.

The presence of a hardware keylogger suggests an attack by a third party who does not have sufficient authority to install a software one and/or is afraid of it being discovered by a software scan.

I would guess that 95% of non-IT users are not aware that these things exist, even though they might be aware of software keyloggers.

EDIT @Cider

http://www.google.co.uk/products?cli...le&output=html
    Last edited by nihil; July 3rd, 2008 at 01:40 PM.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Thanks Nihil

Records a years worth of typing, OMG!!!!!

I suppose that the intruder will have to sift through the code or probaly use a software program.

BTW: Why are these for sale? WHat are they used for "legally"
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Cider,

As far as I know they do exactly the same as a software keylogger, only offline and outside of the target PC. I would imagine that they have some sort of management application, just like the software versions?

I am not sure of a legal use, but I suppose that if you want to permanently monitor a large number of machines on a network, you don't want them running locally and phoning home because of bandwidth and performance issues. Similarly if stuff is stored on the local machine it would be potentially vulnerable. These devices do the same thing as installed software, but without any performance or bandwidth issues.

Personally I agree with The-Spec in that keylogging is pretty much an obsolete concept from a network environment viewpoint. There are plenty of network security and management tools around, that control things by exception, and are far easier to interpret.

However they are still very much current for criminal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Can you get hold of those Zimbabwe banknotes for millions of whatevers (dollars?).............. I have an idea for making some AOers some money for Christmas ............ and yourself of course!
    oohhh....hmmmm-- Count me in!

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    That would imply that you were the administrator?
    nihil, we all know the answer to that question
    Last edited by C:\Saw; July 3rd, 2008 at 07:55 PM.
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

Ok, silly question, but they the need for devices when there's plenty of software out there that does the same thing?

Are they just getting lazy now?

Or perhaps this is for use by thieves who don't have access to install the software?