Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Has AO gone downhill?

We're getting older and kids are taking over. That's my conclusion.

My own site that used to very alive and kickin' is barely puttering along now. Mainly because the people who used to be there have grown up, gotten lives, and found better things to do.

don't know if anyone noticed this but--

"Most users ever online was 811, June 26th, 2008 at 01:19 AM."

More people than you realize visit this forum silently and get the info they need without posting...I believe bc they are too afraid of all these admins with thousands of posts "flaming their noobiness" or that they might look like idiots posting questions--the name of the site is enough to intimidate people with basic questions.

I think people underestimate the amount of people who read our posts and get the help they need. Ask nihil or JPnyc or phernandez how many people visit this site...

jupiter media knows only that a lot of people visit this site daily--thats it (they see the little black bar at top and may click on the links)-they know that a lot of people are interested in quote hacking unquote--so they come across an interestingly named site called ANTIONLINE on google (ooh ANTI online--looks interesting and slightly scary)
    and they visit, thus adding revenue to jupiter's pockets. Those interested people may read one post and leave disapointed--but jupiter does not care as long as the hits are high

--just my humble opinion
    Last edited by C:\Saw; July 3rd, 2008 at 07:41 PM.
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

I believe bc they are too afraid of all these admins with thousands of posts "flaming their noobiness"j
    I'm a senior member and an AO veteran of quite a few years, and I STILL post noobiness.

Don't we all [especially me ]
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

This is kind of a hard thing to meter because if you go by 'users' online which does not separate registered users from those just stopping in to read then the site is doing fairly well. I suspect if you separated the members from visitors however the bulk of that number would be non-registered users which in short only contribute via ad-revenue from exposure and possible clicks. Active users contribute (hopefully) to the content of the site increases the information indexed by web spiders and therefore the overall chance to bring in new traffic. Even with the data above and say the new post count for the past maybe month you would need several historical samples to really determine any kind of trend in the site.

If anything can be singled out as to why AO is not some amazingly popular site it can be noted that its overall concept is stale as ten year old cheese. The forum thing has been done to death. By and large the site has not changed with the times but seeks to hold on to old concepts that no longer work for the current networked world.

As for other points people have addressed:

'Noobs' deserved to be flamed because quite frankly if they can't stand their ground and learn to take some heat they don't belong in the first place. Initiation is not just limited to this site; its everywhere you turn if you open your eyes just a bit. Ive had it happen to me several times at different jobs when i started; once i was established at said job it was no longer an issue. The point is that initial flaming for stupidity is supposed to make you learn much like the pain of burning your hand on the stove teaches you that its hot and you shouldn't just slap your paw down on it.

Good staff should be both feared and respected; respect for their knowledge and fair dealing but feared because its their job to smack the living crap out of morons who desperately deserve it and YOU certainly don't want to be on their wrong side.

Well that should satisfy my once-in-a-blue-moon post requirement as well as fuel some likely flames and nay-saying; commence with firing at will!
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Not to detract or disagree with you..

Realise that many of the "Visitors" that you see on many forums are not necessarily humans.. you will find a majority (note not all) are search bots.. typically Google and Yahoo.. the admins can see the IPs of these connections... depending on the sites ranking and traffic will determine how often and how many visit at a given time.

The fact that the site is being indexed is a good thing.. if the search bots were not here the site would truly be dead or at least considered as such.

On the subject of Flames.. They really are not that bad a thing.. (I don't enjoy being involved - ok), some times there is a fine line between what is interpreted as a good argument (read debate type) and a flame..
    One thing that the Noob flame threads did do was release pressure.. But pity the poor schmuck who couldn't string a decent sentence together to convey what they really wanted.. but them many reacted the same way that those whom post similar requests and get greeted with the polite "we don't hack" reply... They leave and don't come back..
    I say bring back the Noob flames..
    And why not argue a bit.. Intelligent disagreement.. (not schoolyard bully tactics..name calling.. ) many times there are more than one way to skin a cat.. crack the WEP key..etc..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hmm, I have been around since 2004 and are still asking the n00b questions.

Ive learnt alot here. Posts are quality not quantity.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hey undies~

Realise that many of the "Visitors" that you see on many forums are not necessarily humans.. you will find a majority (note not all) are search bots.
    Please check out this thread. There are enough people using AVG free edition for this to be a significant factor in site statistics

http://antionline.com/showthread.php?t=277206

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Rofl nihil, good point, i was thinking the same thing.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

OK well, if I were not put aside from being able to answer this question, although I do not think I am really a right person to answer it becaseuse at the first point, I am a new member comapare dto others, I would say that yes, AO has improved as well as gone downhills.

The first thing I would say is: I got any info I ever needed for security from here. The second is: I get more respect here compared to other black colored forums. THey just do no think that even they were noobs someday.

On the other hand, the number of people who come and put down some content over here has significantly decreased. Yeah, I do feel like guilty here but then I do not have manyquestions to be asked. Again, I do not think that I would be able to answer a question as well as you guys do, so answering them just does not come to mind.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein