Thread: Norton Messsages returning from sleep Mode

Norton Messsages returning from sleep Mode

I get these messages when I bring my computer out of sleep mode. I have asked several "experts" and I get different oppinions. I hear it's normal and then I hear it's a problem/spyware? Any insights?
    Attached Images Attached Images

How many computers do you have on your internal network?

Cheers:
    DjM

I have 4 all running on wifi. This happens even if no other machines are running. Also, 192.168.2.50 is the machine in question's IP.

I am just wondering why does a port need to be opened when it comes back on line.

I do not get these types of messages when I do a fresh boot (the machine was totally off).

I do get the message if I do an ipconfig /release then /renew basically I get the same result as returning from sleep mode.

Norton says as you can see that I should allow it but I just want to be sure.

From what I can find it doesn't look to bad. Port 1821, 1900, 1825 are discovery services, your machine or others on the network are just shaking hands again. I can't find much info. on Port 1081, what I did find suggested it was a virus but I wouldn't get to worried about that if you are keeping Norton up to date.
    Cheers:
    Last edited by DjM; July 8th, 2008 at 09:35 PM.
    DjM

Just one additional question, the router is 192.168.2.1
    I guess in a theoretical sense it is a computer in itself. Is it normal for a handshake to take place between router and client after return from sleep or ip renew?

Yep, that is indeed normal. They need to say hello again when the computer wakes up, as it's fully disconnected when asleep.

Hi,

As I understand it, when you go into sleep mode all your current RAM contents are written out to your HDD. When you wake the system this gets written back, but it has to reaffirm its status, to see that it is still valid.

When you reboot, everything is loaded from scratch so it knows the status from the outset.

OK, not a "technical" explanation, but that is effectively what is happening

the other wierd thing I have noticed is that if my computer returns from sleep and there is another computer on the network already running these messages do not appear. It only seems to happen when it is the only computer that is running.

This is a pure guess, but I would think that if it can "see" another computer on the network, then it knows that all is well. If it doesn't, it touches base with the router, to at least confirm that it still has a gateway to the network?

What happens if you disconnect it from the network and then bring it out of sleep?