Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No power at all

No power at all

Hello people

Ok i have build a computer for a friend (i know how to build a pc but i am no guru), all the parts are new and compatible, only the hdd and dvd drive are from his old pc. Here is where my problem starts. After conecting everything up my friend (no knowledge at all) changed the voltage switch on the back of the psu to 115 from 230 and fried the psu before i even got to switch it on. We then changed the psu for a new one again and then it still didnt work, so we then took back the mboard cpu memory and changed all that. I have put it all back together and it still doesnt work. Here are my questions: 1) if the psu fried the cpu, mboard, and memory could it have done the same to the hdd, dvdrom, and would it affect the cables from the exterior case that you plug into panel 1. 2) if the hdd and dvd drive were fried then would this prevent the computer from starting up. and finally 3) can you connect a hdd and a dvd drive to the same IDE cable (i have the hdd as master and the dvd drive as slave) and would this affect the pc from starting up.

Spec: 1 gb ddr2 800mhz, amd athlon 64 x2 4000+, ECS 6100SM-M micro atx

Hope this makes sense and i thank all who take the time to help.
    Hamburger Relish

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    ok as I understand it you've already swapped the MOBO and the PS.

You should be able to see some power activity with a PS, MOBO a keyboard leaving the hard drives disconnected. Fans should turn, keyboard leds light up
    POST should make some noise.

Smoked wiring is usually evident to itself, insulation is burnt and fragile

I know this is going to seem like a stupid question but after the PS 110/220 issue, are you sure the outlet you're plugging into hasn't tripped a breaker or ground fault?
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Hi four dc

The outlet is fine as there is other things plugged in and working, i also changed the power lead. I get no noise or no power.
    Hamburger Relish

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    If you have a multimeter, WITH THE BOX UNPLUGGED, you could check to see if the power switch is toggling by checking the resistance of the switch.

If you had another case to cycle the parts through to check would be good.

Another reach of an idea, did you have to use any insulating standoffs between the mobo and the case? Mobos don't work too well sitting on conductive surfaces.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Hi,

1) if the psu fried the cpu, mboard, and memory could it have done the same to the hdd, dvdrom, and would it affect the cables from the exterior case that you plug into panel 1
    It is possible.

2) if the hdd and dvd drive were fried then would this prevent the computer from starting up
    No, you should get the system to post with the new components you have obtained. There should be some activity like fans and lights and BIOS beeps.

3) can you connect a hdd and a dvd drive to the same IDE cable (i have the hdd as master and the dvd drive as slave) and would this affect the pc from starting up.
    Yes you can, no it shouldn't. It should still post although you might have problems loading an operating system.

Check for a switch on the PSU itself (it will be an external rocker switch if there is one) try toggling it and see what happens.

Look at the on off switch and the connections to the power supply. Is there a small glass fuse? I think that ddddc is onto something with a faulty power switch.

switching from 115 to 230 shouldn't screw up your PSU. I do it all the time, just not on my own computer . It's the quickest way to power off a computer. I'm not saying its ok to do, nor do I think you should do it to a computer of any value, but I've never had it fry a PSU or any other component before.

Hi metguru,

I read it that way at first

changed the voltage switch on the back of the psu to 115 from 230
    Please note the emphasis............. I don't think it would like that?

acdc, funny you should mention the insulating standoffs yes i had some in place but today i decided to bench build everything and it powered up, i have now put it back inside and it is now powering up, but now it is tellin me there is no video input. I am getting no BIOS beeps, it has intergrated graphics which is what i tried first, but i also used a external graphics card too and had the same result, i have reseated the memory and cleared the cmos but still no video input. I have tried both with and without the hdd and dvd drive connected
    Hamburger Relish

sony,

Can you get into the BIOS setup? Let's start with the onboard graphics.........is memory sharing enabled, and what is the aperture? (s/be 128 IIRC)

If you can get into the BIOS there might be a "most reliable" type, default setting?

Nihil

I am now back at home so i do not have pc with me but when it went straight to no video input with both the intergrated and external graphics i left it at that. Could you still get in to the BIOS even though it says no video input
    Last edited by sony; July 9th, 2008 at 11:06 PM.
    Hamburger Relish