Thread: Garmin nuvi 200 GPS

Garmin nuvi 200 GPS

I want to know what would be a good map software to use with my gps would kismet be good?

gotroot,

I'm guessing you're referring to software on your computer to interface with the GPS unit? I've always just used mapsource from Garmin. I bought a Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx, and that's all I've used. I bought the updated maps for my unit though, along with all the TOPO maps for Canada.

I've never used kismet, so I can't say anything about it. Are you trying to map wireless access points to GPS coordinates or something? Maybe I'm a bit off track with my reply. Please let me know if this is the case. Not sure what else you'd be using Kismet and your GPS unit for.

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

gotroot,

I have never had the inclination to waste perfectly good alcohol vouchers on this sort of stuff, so what I am about to say is based on observing friends and second hand evidence from talking to people.

Kismet, as you know, is not a mapping system. It has the capability of interfacing with (some) GPS devices, and has mapping capabilities. Your first move should be to check out the Kismet site and see if it supports your Make/Model of GPS.

I have heard a few guys say that it doesn't work properly because the interface is flawed. Sorry, I have no more details on that, and it was a while ago, so it might have been fixed?

I have also heard of projects to interface to Google Earth maps, but no one here has shown me a working example. The way to go perhaps?

I would strongly suggest that you do some Google research on "Kismet" then search within results for "maps" and "GPS". I know that is not the elegant way to do a search query, but I find it more effective than trying to create a full search string

For the normal use of a GPS, I would second Dave's recommendations.

Now, what are you going to find?

Well, I don't want to rain on your parade, but the answer is "not a lot more than by using a map, compass and, perhaps, a rather 'interesting' pair of binoculars 'liberated' from a previous employment"

You will find a signal, a direction and a signal strength. BUT you only have that from an Earth's surface perspective? you do not have instantaneous triangulation, and the AP won't be GSP enabled?

I am afraid that only gives you a single vector in my book; although I will admit that is mostly based on chucking 105mms way beyond the range of APs

All you really find is the best parking spot to use the AP?................. I already know those...... they are in the bar?