Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't delete user account in XP

Can't delete user account in XP

Hi guys,

I am here at a mate's pc, and looking at his security on here, and I notice he has another user account on here which is no longer used. I tried to look for the disable box like you get on windows 2000 but could only find delete account. When I questioned him about it, he said that all files on that account can go, but when I tried to delete it, it just hung.

How can I delete this account, or at least disable it? Is this a commonly known issue.

Jenny's Friend
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Are you sure that you are using an Administrator account to do the deleting?

see this link
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Yes, in fact both of the accounts on this pc are admin accounts, and this is a home computer running windows xp home by the way.
    Sarcasm is a way of life

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    You can't disable the account from within it's properties IIRC... Right click it in the list of accounts and you will see a disable option there...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Or,

Go to your run prompt ant type "control userpasswords2" and see if you can delete it from there.

If it doesnt work. log in a the main administrator (you may have to log into safe mode for this) and then see if you can delete it!

Deleting a user account in Windows

First, disable the account. Second, delete the account.

Hi,

Nokia, that deleted the account which is great, and I take it makes this side more secure.

Now all the data from that account, can I just go into Documents and settings, and delete the whole folder for that accont, as it is all old that he is not keen on just leaving around and would be better off shredded (Spybot?).

Thanks for your help guys

The Jolly Maverfrond
    Sarcasm is a way of life

WOW Thanks!!!!

Thanks for the info Nokia. I have been at my whits end trying to figure out how to get this kids user profile off my computer. The info you gave was so simple to do.

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFrond
    Now all the data from that account, can I just go into Documents and settings, and delete the whole folder for that accont, as it is all old that he is not keen on just leaving around and would be better off shredded (Spybot?).
    Right click on "My Computer", choose Properties.
    Tab Advanced..
    Half way there's "User Profiles", click on Settings.
    Select the profile and click Delete.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Huh - stupid question nokia but must i type exactly that or must i refernce it to an account password?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein