Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows July Updates 2008

Hybrid View

Unhappy Windows July Updates 2008

Has anyone had any problems with these?

I have just tried them on Windows XP SP3 and Windows 2000 SP4.

I cannot connect to the internet afterwards. I get to my ISP and ping seems to work, but trying to browse a website justs brings a timeout and "unable to connect to server" message.

EDIT:

The answer seems to be that KB951748 doesn't play nice with ZoneAlarm
    Last edited by nihil; July 9th, 2008 at 01:20 PM.

Installed the updates overnight and this morning i had no connections.

Had to remove the update to get online.

I use Zonealarm so what is the work - around this.?

Damn i even read your warning last night before the update...I should of waited.

Johnno i believe one of the updates that is causing this issue is due to this..

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/4775...et-hackers-web

http://www.doxpara.com/

Edit scratch that. read this link instead.

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...-fix-kills-web

Hi blokes,

Sorry I was a bit sparse with that post but I ran the update (XP) and hit problems, messed around with LSPfix and the like and no joy, so I cut across to a Win 2000 box and hit the same thing. I tried to get the warning in to AO as soon as possible whilst I was looking into it.

InfoAU, right now I have uninstalled KB951748, but that cannot be a solution for more than a few days.

My only complaint is that MS obviously didn't test with ZA. That is surprising, because it is very popular?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    InfoAU, right now I have uninstalled KB951748, but that cannot be a solution for more than a few days.
    I guess we will have to wait and see if there is another update.
    I will live with no update(1 out 3) over No firewall.

Zonealarm gave no indications of any troubles....Just no connections anywhere.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Nihil what kind of a site is that. Are you a member?

EDIT: Nihil, this website is classic.
    Last edited by Cider; July 11th, 2008 at 11:51 AM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

interestingly enuff, i came across the same problem. and come to think of it, it was right after windhoes updated. and not knowingly, i uninstalled zonealarm and got comodo and ran into a problem with my user logins, thnx alot microsoft. it would seem that update doesnt work to well with comodo either. man i wish i came here sooner

Quote Originally Posted by chaosclown
    interestingly enuff, i came across the same problem. and come to think of it, it was right after windhoes updated. and not knowingly, i uninstalled zonealarm and got comodo and ran into a problem with my user logins, thnx alot microsoft. it would seem that update doesnt work to well with comodo either. man i wish i came here sooner
    Lol I forgot to mention that. Windows update will complain until you have it set to auto update meaning upates download and install all by themselves and I somehow forgot to mention that! Ah well I can now:

Again for the average user who has to put up with this more than we do, is it their fault they didn't call Dell and wait on the phone for 4 hours while they tried to understand what exactly the guy "Frank Bababoubibababazara" from "California" (Come on they all lie and pretend they aren't sitting in a sweaty office in another country) says to them in broken English about installing update and so on? Is it really their fault they didn't call and go through all that and just installed the updates like the OS told them to set up to do by itself in the first place?

And for those worried about a flame war, fear not, Morgan loves me and thinks I rock like the stone age. No problems, just button pushing cause it's funny

Quote Originally Posted by gore
    Lol I forgot to mention that. Windows update will complain until you have it set to auto update meaning upates download and install all by themselves
    yeah. when i first set that computer up, everything installed fine and i had antivirus and firewall running good, and completey updated. therefore my job there was done. its not till almost a year later, that this suddenly occurs. its not my computer so im not monitoring it 24/7. so when something like this happens out of the blue, not knowing that ms just recently updated and installed it by itself, i had no clue as what to do or where to start . but luckily enuff, the little knowledge i did have lead me to turn off zonealarm. so when that worked i thought it was something wrong with zonealarm. now tell that to the average user that theres something wrong with there firewall, who already thinks that some one can easily hack into said computer and mess with stuff.

its not that im flaming ms , its just that how do u expect some one who knows nothing about these things, to just simply roll back a driver and pay more attention to what ms updates.

and further more if ms would actually put more into their firewall ,god forebid, then the majority of ppl wouldnt have zonealarm. so to that extent yeah thats ms' fault