Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows July Updates 2008

AOs Resident Troll
    What I fail to see how is this microsofts issue...when some 3rd party software prevents a login or internet access because of a false positive.

Maybe the fault lies on the 3rd party

This was a hole that was identified in other oses

It is always good to consult with the 3rd party software website before applying any update...specially on production machines!

We all get tired of the MS bashing....

Just fookin get over it

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay
    What I fail to see how is this microsofts issue...when some 3rd party software prevents a login or internet access because of a false positive.

Maybe the fault lies on the 3rd party

This was a hole that was identified in other oses

It is always good to consult with the 3rd party software website before applying any update...specially on production machines!

We all get tired of the MS bashing....

Just fookin get over it

MLF
    I haven't pushed buttons in a while so what the hell:

OK, consider the typical user for a second; They're told to update all the time, and I've personally tested this and know it to be true; If you install the updates, you'll note that some are in "Hardware" and if you install those from Windows Update, you've got about..... Hmmmm, one reboot, which is required, before that device no longer works.

Now if that isn't their fault, I'd sure wonder how it's not. My Mom's printer had an update so I decided to go ahead and install it. It stopped working after the "required reboot" as have other pieces of hardware on the machines I have where Windows is still installed on them.

They list everything from NICs to video cards to even monitors and mice on those updates, and if the average user installs them like they're told too and the hardware doesn't work afterwards, does it matter much if they don't know why? Or should Microsoft just maybe not offer those updates since it can break things? My Mom's printer is obviously fine and working again, but what if She didn't have ME for a son and had installed it like She would have been told to anyway? Then you have tech support tag to play while Microsoft says to call Dell and Dell says to call Microsoft since they obviously didn't tell you to download it, and Microsoft saying to call Dell because it's THEIR hardware and you installed an update for it.

Is that OK too just because they're a huge multi-billionaire company who gets picked on by nerds? They're still the majority, hate crimes depend on a minority most of the time. They have the term gay bashing because gays are a minority group, so going after them for being gay constitutes a hate crime. Microsoft are in the majority, and I don't think bashing can be used for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosclown
    interestingly enuff, i came across the same problem. and come to think of it, it was right after windhoes updated. and not knowingly, i uninstalled zonealarm and got comodo and ran into a problem with my user logins, thnx alot microsoft. it would seem that update doesnt work to well with comodo either. man i wish i came here sooner
    Lol I forgot to mention that. Windows update will complain until you have it set to auto update meaning upates download and install all by themselves and I somehow forgot to mention that! Ah well I can now:

Again for the average user who has to put up with this more than we do, is it their fault they didn't call Dell and wait on the phone for 4 hours while they tried to understand what exactly the guy "Frank Bababoubibababazara" from "California" (Come on they all lie and pretend they aren't sitting in a sweaty office in another country) says to them in broken English about installing update and so on? Is it really their fault they didn't call and go through all that and just installed the updates like the OS told them to set up to do by itself in the first place?

And for those worried about a flame war, fear not, Morgan loves me and thinks I rock like the stone age. No problems, just button pushing cause it's funny

Banned
    They list everything from NICs to video cards to even monitors and mice on those updates, and if the average user installs them like they're told too and the hardware doesn't work afterwards, does it matter much if they don't know why?
    You're lucky to even get support at all for ten to twenty year old devices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjD4eWEUgMM

And oh boo-hoo... I had to roll back a device driver and maybe pay a little more attention to what im doing infront of the computer.

/Me

I use a Zimmer Frame

Exactly! it is the way the third party chose to hook to the kernel?

No problem with Vista though? because MS collaborated...........

Quote Originally Posted by gore
    Lol I forgot to mention that. Windows update will complain until you have it set to auto update meaning upates download and install all by themselves
    yeah. when i first set that computer up, everything installed fine and i had antivirus and firewall running good, and completey updated. therefore my job there was done. its not till almost a year later, that this suddenly occurs. its not my computer so im not monitoring it 24/7. so when something like this happens out of the blue, not knowing that ms just recently updated and installed it by itself, i had no clue as what to do or where to start . but luckily enuff, the little knowledge i did have lead me to turn off zonealarm. so when that worked i thought it was something wrong with zonealarm. now tell that to the average user that theres something wrong with there firewall, who already thinks that some one can easily hack into said computer and mess with stuff.

its not that im flaming ms , its just that how do u expect some one who knows nothing about these things, to just simply roll back a driver and pay more attention to what ms updates.

and further more if ms would actually put more into their firewall ,god forebid, then the majority of ppl wouldnt have zonealarm. so to that extent yeah thats ms' fault

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Years ago in Dos there was "unsupported features", cool little hacks that made good shortcuts but they were "unsupported" that meant you couldn't count on them in a newer version, if you based your application on them it was your fault if it didn't work. Sucks to be you.

Fast forward to Windows, closed, no code released, you build a program/app to work with it and it does, you beta, you release, life is good. A few months later MS changes something and boom your stuff doesn't work.

Now we're not talking about some minority application like a billing system for an opticians office, we're talking about a firewall that millions of people use, doesn't MS have a responsibility to those 3rd party providers to make sure that their patch isn't going to screw things up?

So yes I'll bash MS all I want, they suck.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Banned
    doesn't MS have a responsibility to those 3rd party providers to make sure that their patch isn't going to screw things up?
    NO!
    Any developer who hooks a system service description table would have already accepted the likelihood that their software will cause problems.
    Last edited by The-Spec; July 12th, 2008 at 04:28 PM.

Not quite,

Sure MS don't have any obligation to third party suppliers, but I will say that I am surprised that they didn't test against major software suppliers............ particularly security stuff, that is notorious for conflicts.

Basically MS were too anal about their code for Windows 2000 and XP. They were very open with Vista, and that OS didn't have any problems.

Any developer who hooks a system service description table would have already accepted the likelihood that their software will cause problems.
    Not unless someone buggers around with the kernel

Quote Originally Posted by The-Spec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjD4eWEUgMM

And oh boo-hoo... I had to roll back a device driver and maybe pay a little more attention to what im doing infront of the computer.
    Boo hoo nothing you love me and you know it.

And rolling drivers back wasn't a problem, I was just testing patches like I normally do. Good God who installs patches on anything production these days without testing first after the whole XP SP2 thing?

Now, who wants autographed copies of my latest album? (in all seriousness I just released it after finishing up some new stuff and taking some advice from you in how a lot of what I made sounded the same and I decided I agree and started new ways and new sampling styles to nip that in the ass right off).