Thread: Firefox acting screwy all of a sudden...

Exclamation Firefox acting screwy all of a sudden...

Just today, I noticed that FF was acting weird. When I open it, it doesn't take me to my home page, but a blank screen, and I have to click home to get there. Checked options... set to take me to my home page when FF is opened. The other strange thing is, my back button seems to have stopped working. It is always greyed out. I came to ao, clicked on discussion forums, clicked on this forum, and post new. The address in the address bar is still just http://www.antionline.com/ -- and both the back and the refresh button are greyed out. I am running the newest version of FF in the newest version of Ubuntu... I have rebooted, restarted FF several times, reinstalled with synaptic package manager... I have no idea what is causing this... anyone else came across anything like this? I have been running this installation for a couple of months now with no trouble... the only weird thing that happened before this started was, I downloaded a pdf for a Ham Radio I just bought, and as soon as it was done downloading [I hadn't even tried to open it] I was booted back to a login screen, when I logged back in, this started happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: Just tried F5 as a means of refreshing page, does not work... and I do not have the options from a right click menu, they are greyed out as well... and my history is blank, even though I have it set to save for whatever the firefox default is... weird ??

Edit x2 :

I also disabled all of my addons. still no change...
    Last edited by westin; July 10th, 2008 at 07:50 PM.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Hey Westin, is that the new Firefox 3 you're running?

why yes it is, I found a forum talking about the same problem, but they said it was due to a process that had not terminated correctly. A reboot should have taken care of that, and I ran a 'sudo ps ef -A | grep firefox' which should have caught any leftovers, but didn't come up with anything. It looks like this problem is not OS specific. As users in XP, Vista, and Ubuntu were all experiencing it... Thanks for the reply, and sorry I wasn't more specific in my previous post.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

A Linux expert I am NOT. Nor a firefox expert.

However, just starting with the bare basics -- uninstall/reinstall, then say a prayer?

heh... I did uninstall and reinstall... I will try with a prayer, and then let you know

edit:

Well, did a complete uninstallation then a reinstall, while saying a prayer... but I guess Firefox isn't too high on God's priority list... :P
    Last edited by westin; July 10th, 2008 at 11:38 PM.

-HST

well, I just decided to switch back to FF2 ... it seems to be working alright. I might try 3 again if I read on the Mozilla forum that the bugs are worked out...

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view...0130&forumId=1

-HST