Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Virus or ???

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Good point there.

Hmm - what is the distance of the mouse? 30 meters?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Are you parents' computer using wireless keyboard and mouse?
    When I first spoke to them, they said they replaced the mouse with a wireless one in case it was a problem with the mouse. But it's quite possible the first mouse was also wireless.

They do use wireless for various bits and pieces - again, not sure what as they're in a different state.

Cheers,
    Niggles

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    I think we may have found the problem.

Short of replacing the mouse with a corded one, you can try downloading the software package (manufacturer website) for the specific mouse. I believe <b>some</b> mouse software has a way of filtering out interfering signals and hence preventing this problem.

Could you imagine a small office block crammed with 30 computers all running wireless mice and keyboards ??

Anyways, let me know how things turn out.

IMO, corded mouses are better. They dont waste batteries, if there is a problem the only troubleshooting is "is it plugged in", and of course it wont cut out whilst your almost about to shoot the bad guy finishing the final stage on whatever game it is you play

[edit] Simple problem simple answer i know, but isnt it still fun to jump off the deep end every now and then [/edit]

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

They said when the mouse moved it moved really quickly and didn't appear to have any pattern when opening and closing windows from the start menu - so it sounds something more scripted or automated than someone controlling it manually.
    If so, i would wager your neighbours are also using a wireless mouse, inadvertently controlling the cursor on your parents' machine. As the neighbour moves his mouse and opens programs etc so too does your parents' machine.
    The first comment would seem to rule out the second, as one would expect to see a pattern. However, RF interference could explain the symptoms. That would make other wireless devices suspect, including external ones.

Most modern wireless devices are either "paired" or perform a handshake setup when you install them. This greatly reduces the possibility of interference, but does not rule it out completely. I would check that the mouse has been set up correctly using the manufacturer's software (as CTO suggested)

I guess that if the problem persists, I would change the channel that the mouse is using.

It would help if we knew:

1. The make and model of the mouse.
    2. What other wireless devices are being used.

Quote:
    They said when the mouse moved it moved really quickly and didn't appear to have any pattern when opening and closing windows from the start menu - so it sounds something more scripted or automated than someone controlling it manually.

Quote:
    If so, i would wager your neighbours are also using a wireless mouse, inadvertently controlling the cursor on your parents' machine. As the neighbour moves his mouse and opens programs etc so too does your parents' machine.
    When comparing two computers screen to screen, the start menu, application shortcuts, and desktop shortcuts appear in the same screen location. The interfering computer user, clicks start, all programs, and launches internet explorer. Your parents computer mimics this; start, all programs, but instead launches windows media player. The cursor screen position is the same but the shortcut that was selected is not.

This is what makes the movement seem random and non threatening. However, the mouse does have a structured movement of opening and closing programs. Hence the thought of crossover from another wireless device.

If it was interference you would either expect linear interference or chaotic interference. i.e. The mouse cursor would slow move in 1 direction forcing it into a corner. Or it would be crazy and you wouldnt be able to control what you clicked on etc.

What do you guys think>?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

What do you guys think>?
    Are they living in cardboard boxes? The range of a mouse is about 6~15 feet in clear air?

Now, I do accept your very logical analysis regarding the mapping, but the frenetic speed and opening and closing cannot cover that?

inadvertently controlling the cursor on your parents' machine
    *giggle* It does not make sense to me due to the limited range of wireless devices, but this does indeed happen in suburbia where houses are crammed close together. (It's a trend; cram as many human bodies in as close of a proximity as possible while still charging massive amounts of money for housing). I've run into the problem once before on a house call.

I'd also strongly advise running Trend Micro's HijackThis and posting the log it spits out in this forum or in their dedicated log analysis forum. This will present a detailed report of everything running on the computer, including remote login clients (logmein, dialaPC) running in the background that wouldn't normally trip AV scans.

Link to download: http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-...-10227353.html

Also, does this site no longer allow the addition of html in posts? Was trying to create a clean looking link...
    Last edited by keezel; July 18th, 2008 at 05:44 PM.

It does not make sense to me due to the limited range of wireless devices, but this does indeed happen in suburbia where houses are crammed close together.
    Yes that would be particularly likely in apartment blocks where the partition walls are not very robust. Also if the other party has wireless devices intended for use in conference rooms or with media centres.

What surprises me is the reported rapid and apparently random opening and closing of applications. That isn't how people normally use a computer because they would never get anything done?

From a process of elimination viewpoint, I would change the batteries in the mouse.

Also, does this site no longer allow the addition of html in posts? Was trying to create a clean looking link...
    test

Copy your link, type in the link name in the body of your post. Highlight the name then click on the "insert link" icon and paste the link.
    Last edited by nihil; July 19th, 2008 at 09:34 AM.

From a process of elimination viewpoint, I would change the batteries in the mouse
    HAHA, the mouse was replaced with another one to remove variables, but i would bet a pound to a dollar they used the same batteries...

---

I have to agree with the range limit in terms of interference. I did not read the sparodic movement of the mouse and opening closing programs to be in quick succession. I figured it was doing all of these things over a period of time (eg. you leave the computer alone and when you come back 5 programs are running).

If the mouse IS the problem, for programs to open and close, the cursor MUST invoke the program. If the mouse cursor does not invoke the application then it MUST be some other cause.

CTO
    - Albert Einstein

Since turning off VNC ports it's stopped happening. They did run a number of virus checkers and one of them picked up some possible virii, but as it costs money, they decided not to proceed any further and wait and see if the computer keeps acting normally.

I know, I know... but what can you do apart from bang your head against a wall :-)

Cheers for the help.

Niggles