Thread: help making a site... free O_O or close to it ^_^

Unhappy help making a site... free O_O or close to it ^_^

oks so i wanna make a site, but im not so great with computers- i know how to make simple stuff and links and crap like that but basically nothing else >_> im totally broke so anything free and/or ultra cheap is perfect ^_^ i think the main problem i have is dealing with uploading content. i have no idea how to do that. i tried to embed a media player and it popped up... but nothing was in it T_T idk what im doing... so does anyone have any good ideas for what i can do or where i can go to learn?!! ^_^

Google "how to build a website" or similar to get some tutorials as a complete lesson on building a website is probably beyond the scope of this forum. Heck, after building them myself for 10 years I'm still learning :-)

Cheers,
    Niggles

I think you would be best off just using a template, there are plenty of free/open source ones out there just look around :-) Then customize it until you are happy with it.

A mind full of questions has no room for answers

OMG OMG!! ^_^ thank you guys!! ^_^ im gonna check out all your helpful tips and sites and such and see if i get better at this site making stuff ^_^ thank you!!! ^_^

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Krita,

Another valuable source is the View tab on your browser. I use firefox but IE has a similar feature. On the view tab is an option to view source or page source. You can usually see the page authors html code.

I'm not going to encourage borrowing or stealing but you can see how things are done
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Lightbulb New Webmaster Tips

I am a successful webmaster specializing in organic search engine optimization.

Learn html first. All other code is not important. Then, learn SEO: backlinks and updates.

If you're serious about your website, you can make a good income off of it. Most successful webmasters were in the same boat as you are in right now. The more one gets into html write-up, the more they see that this is what they were born to do. That is, for those who eventually make a large income off it.
    SEO Website Creation Advice

Learn html first. All other code is not important.
    Eeehhh I'd say that's half right. Definitely learn HTML first. But then move on to more advanced things, as HTML is NOT all that's important. I learned website building with HTML...never made anything of it because I haven't bothered to learn anything beyond it. As a result, I've had to turn down several people who wanted me to build sites for them, because I didn't have the expertise with the more advanced "stuff" to build for them what they needed.

So yes, HTML is the place to start, but don't limit yourself to it. Learn and absorb as much as you can!

CSS is almost as important as HTML in my opinion for making a proper site that can easily be redesigned. Sure you can make a complete site in HTML but you will find it complicated to make changes later without sifting through lots of unnecessary code. CSS will allow for scaling sites and will free you from the use of tables as well as allow you to change multiple groups of text at once. There are some good tutorials online and there is a good book called CSS: The Missing Manual published by O'Rielly (http://www.amazon.com/CSS-Missing-Ma...dp/0596526873). Scripts and other code are much less necessary for a functional website.
    Last edited by CyberB0b; July 8th, 2008 at 11:37 PM.
    sandwich.