Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP SP3

Hybrid View

XP SP3

Has anyone installed SP3 without problems? I noticed it was available when my Wife installed it on one of Her machines and then a few hours later uninstalled it as it broke a couple apps and I haven't seen it on AO really.

It doesn't seem to be as big as SP2 and it says "simple updates and security fixes that won't change your experience with XP" which I know to be crap on the simple fact I've watched it already break a couple apps within an hour. The update was installed and then things started to not work or sometimes not load, which makes me think I'm not sure I want this thing on the little XP partition on my Laptop.

Any XPeriences so to speak?

No problems on my VMWare machine on my iMac ;-)
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I hesitated on SP3 as 2 of the family's "boxes" are HP with AMD processors. But the 3 XP boxes are all SP3 with no new issues for a few weeks now.

4dc
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Hi gore,

I installed it when it became available. I couldn't get it to load using the Windows installer thingy but it loaded fine when I downloaded it (the administrator's executable) to the HDD and ran it from there. I think it was an ISP issue. It seemed to load about 60Mb then kept going backwards and forwards for stuff. The executable is about 320Mb and the ISO about 520Mb.

Haven't seen any problems with applications though.

Which applications did it break or cause problems with?

This is the thread I started when I first installed it back in the beginning of May.

http://antionline.com/showthread.php?t=277007

No, I am not suicidal............ what is the point of having test boxes if you don't use them to test things?

Yea I was reading about it messing up certain processor boxes too and thought that was a little strange too. It was also another reason I was contemplating installing it as I didn't really want to find out how far it could really screw up.

I may give it a chance later on but I didn't find too much on it so far, though I did just start looking not long ago.

I've had about 3 Monster energy drinks now since I have to be up for school tomorrow morning and it would be a little hard to do if I had fallen asleep when we got to bed around 5 AM heh.

Anyway, thanks much, I just wanted to know if anyone else had any problems.

And the apps it seems to start screwing with, I.... Hmm, I'm trying to remember them really, I know it had something with Adobe for some reason which I found strange since I hadn't found much saying anything about that, and a few others that I really can't remember since it was REALLY late when it got installed just started either crashing or not running at all until it was uninstalled.. It was pretty odd though but once it was removed everything worked fine again.

I was recommended not to apply it to a stable fully patched SP2 PC but to do so if I reinstalled. I had planned to reinstall my OS anyway so I did that last week. So far, my XP Pro SP3 is behaving.

Hmmm,

I was recommended not to apply it to a stable fully patched SP2 PC but to do so if I reinstalled.
    Haven't heard that one before, mine was installed in 2001, and has never been reinstalled.

Is it because SP3 contains all the previous patches and doesn't need anything after SP2 to be already installed?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Is it because SP3 contains all the previous patches and doesn't need anything after SP2 to be already installed?
    I think it was anecdotal. I'd read about SP3 "breaking" Windows and I didn't want to risk it. I can't recall where I read the advice to wait until a clean install of XP. I realise that SP3 is, in effect, SP2 + the updates.

Ignatius,

I know that Microsoft did withold installations of XP SP3 and Vista SP1 from customers who were using their retail management package. If you did what I did, and downloaded the administrator's version you would break Windows in that environment.

I can say that I'm running it on my laptop, desktop and several VMs and haven't had any issues with it... My suggestion.. Install it