Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XP SP3

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Well I installed a final at work which was stupid because if it did break stuff my boss would of broken me.

However was quite impressed, no problems so far
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    I know that Microsoft did withold installations of XP SP3 and Vista SP1 from customers who were using their retail management package. If you did what I did, and downloaded the administrator's version you would break Windows in that environment.
    Ah, maybe that's the anecdotal comment that I read then. Anyway, I have it installed now and everythings running fine.

Cider,

Well I installed a final at work which was stupid because if it did break stuff my boss would of broken me.
    You really need to do something about that mate! especially at this stage in your career. Remember the old saying: "credit travels upwards; blame travels downwards"................. and you are only as good as your last job.

Try to persuade your boss that you need "reference machines". These do not need to be new, or high powered, but you must at least be able to reasonably support all the operating systems you have deployed (think Virtual Machine perhaps?).

Depending upon how many different operational environments you are supporting, you should have at least one (V?) machine for it. At the very least you should have a reference machine for your basic deployment.

I haven't had any problems with sp3, but aside from the few visible updates it's supposed to upgrade your kernel to the vista kernel in some portion or in totality im' not sure but, ...vista w/out the bells and whistles.
    ...:::Pure Kn0wledge:::...

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Well we had a test box but now the marketing man has sort of taken it over so they can use their email program to send out to multiple customers. I dont know what the program is though.

On one of the servers the other techie runs a web based VM. I connect via web browser to it. I see that it has its own IP and not the servers so I can Remote in.

I dont know if that would work. What I really need is a box that I can test with and if something goes horribly wrong it will only affect that box and not anything else ...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

on July 23 I was forced to installed it. Win XP Pro SP3. It says that it is installed. It is ok for 2 days. no applications broken. None that I can see. SAP 6.4 Client, MS office 2003, winamp,5.5.x.x, Adobe reader 8, PSPad, internet connection works just fine, 1.0 Gb Nic, and intell centrino wifi on laptop. core 2, 3Gb ram, 110Gb hd, firefox, ad-ware, putty, skype 3.0, IM for MSN, Remote desk top.
    Rocko the Clown

Quote Originally Posted by gore
    Has anyone installed SP3 without problems? I noticed it was available when my Wife installed it on one of Her machines and then a few hours later uninstalled it as it broke a couple apps and I haven't seen it on AO really.

It doesn't seem to be as big as SP2 and it says "simple updates and security fixes that won't change your experience with XP" which I know to be crap on the simple fact I've watched it already break a couple apps within an hour. The update was installed and then things started to not work or sometimes not load, which makes me think I'm not sure I want this thing on the little XP partition on my Laptop.

Any XPeriences so to speak?
    hold on, you're married now? I didn't get an invite?

Put sp3 on about 15 systems so far. Installed it on one system they day it came out and it became unstable with the odd blue screen. I've since forgotten the error message. So I left the others for about two weeks so Microsoft work out the bugs. Every sp3 upgrade after that has gone smooth.

Yea Er0k, I'm Married And if you wanted an invite, well, drag your butt up here and we'll hang out dude. I also released two albums now.

Also from this thread, it seems that the SP3 problems are much like SP2 where certain people experience a problem but not everyone, so I'm thinking my best bet is to just go ahead and setup a test install, and try it on there, and install the software I use on Windows (Ultimate Doom, Quake 1 and 2) and if it doesn't screw those up or break them I'll put it on my laptop. Seems like a good bet.

And yea I'm that anal about patching. I won't install patches on ANYTHING I consider production until I've tested it myself.

An example would be this desktop machine dual booting Linux and Windows; I make music on this box and I need to be sure LMMS works good and isn't affected by a patch because if LMMS breaks, I can't make music, and therefore, I don't want to do anything to touch that.

I'm lucky and Blessed in that we have more machines to use so I can test patches before installing on main boxes, so I do so.

Currently I'm recompiling and reinstalling and upgrading a FreeBSD install on a machine. One command and the whole thing can be recompiled. It's a test machine so I'm not worried about it, and the machine I have that the HD died in, I'm thinking of setting it up as a net box. Setting up the FreeBSD machine to have info and then the disk broken machine can just do a net boot so I can still use it without a HD. This is new to me so I'm going to have to read up on it.

I have 3 machines that are MAIN boxes; This one which I already talked about, my FTP server which I use to do back ups of every machine and also do some other things with, which runs Slackware 12, and has two HDs, and then my Laptop. My Laptop has a 3 gig Windows XP partition on it for Doom and Quake, and some test stuff, and then the rest is Slackware.

I think that some people might have had trouble with the installer?

I downloaded the administrators' version and checked that the file was the right size before running it with no problems............. I would suggest that might be the way to go?

Actually I prefer to do it that way so that I can then slipstream it into what I already have