Thread: help : coloured font at DOS, misspelled word in BIOS

Angry help : coloured font at DOS, misspelled word in BIOS

Hi,
    My PC sometimes gives me coloured fonts and mis-spelled words ('Defauht' instead of 'Default' etc) during booting, BIOS or DOS. Despite that, there is no significant problem to my PC. Any idea on where the problems could be? Could it be the board, hard disk or power?

My pc is is built from a new GA-EP35-DS3 board, two DDR2 1066 ram, and older (from previous pc) nvidia 7900. My power unit labels 200W.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Images Attached Images

Just Another Geek
    This sounds like bad video memory...
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

SirDice,
    Thanks. So the problem is with my grahpic card? Is there any way to resolve this?

Just Another Geek
    Yeah, replace the card..

But before you do, have a look if the fans on the card are working properly..
    It might be just that.. If that's not the case the memory is probably broken..

Your PSU seems to be a little bit underpowered too. But I would expect some different issues if it really was underpowered.
    350-400W is a minimum these days.. 500W isn't overkill anymore..
    Last edited by SirDice; July 21st, 2008 at 01:55 PM.
    Oliver's Law:

A 200 Watt power supply? that will be a major problem, in my opinion..... SD is quite correct, you need at least 350, and I would not build with less than 500 these days.

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

With a desktop I would also look at the display monitor. They have some primitive intelligence in them that can give problems. See if you can use another monitor. Also, try changing the video monitor cable.

With a video card problem I would expect problems to be more regular that you seem to suggest?

Make sure that everything is clean and well-seated/connected.

Thanks for the help.

My PC is a desktop. The PSU says the peak voltage is 500W and normal voltage is 200W. Maybe I gave the wrong one sorry.

I took out the gcard and removed the fan and cleaned the dust. I haven't encounter any such error yet, hopefully it stays like that.

For the other problems, there are sometimes weird 3D rendering during high quality gameplay and a notably higher tendency to have hard disk problems. Otherwise the system is normal.

Another question : there are two power input cable (those with 4 pins) on my gcard but the guy who assembled my PC only used one. Is that normal?

The BIOS shows that my CPU voltage is below the recommended 1.3875V, even though its set at 1.3875V in the BIOS. Is it alright for me to increase the voltage (to 1.39V etc) such that it reach 1.3875V and the same for my rams? It seems like my board have bad reputation for functionality.

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by spellabc
    I took out the gcard and removed the fan and cleaned the dust. I haven't encounter any such error yet, hopefully it stays like that.

For the other problems, there are sometimes weird 3D rendering during high quality gameplay {...}
    Right.. Both problems are caused by the same heat problem..

In the past I've modded an ATI 9700 pro, took off the crappy el-cheapo fan and replaced it with a passive heatpipe cooler. Solved all my heat problems.

Somehow they manage to always put the cheapest, crappiest fans on graphicscards, even the high priced ones
    Oliver's Law: