Thread: Nikto Result Interpretation

Nikto Result Interpretation

Dear friends,

I'm new here and I'm not sure if my question might seems so dummy to you so excuse me if it's not a right place to ask it.
    I used nikto for a site (not mine). I paste some lines here:
    ////////////////////////////////////

+ OSVDB-0: GET /scripts/samples/details.idc : See RFP 9901; www.wiretrip.net
    + OSVDB-396: GET /_vti_bin/shtml.exe : Attackers may be able to crash FrontPage by requesting a DOS device, like shtml.exe/aux.htm -- a DoS was not attempted.
    + OSVDB-0: GET /cgi-perl/handler.cgi : Variation of Irix Handler? Has been seen from other CGI scanners.
    + OSVDB-0: GET /cgi-perl/finger.pl : finger other users, may be other commands?
    + OSVDB-0: GET /cgi-perl/get32.exe : This can allow attackers to execute arbitrary commands remotely.
    + OSVDB-0: GET /cgi-perl/gm-authors.cgi : GreyMatter 'password' file, that controls who can post. This contains login and password information and is installed mode 666 by default. See http://www.attrition.org/~jericho/wo...reymatter.html for more info.
    + OSVDB-0: GET /cgi-perl/photo/protected/manage.cgi : My Photo Gallery management interface. May allow full access to photo galleries and more. Versions before 3.8 allowed anyone to view contents of any directory on systems.
    + OSVDB-0: GET /cgi-perl/wrap.cgi : possible variation: comes with IRIX 6.2; allows to view directories
    + OSVDB-0: GET /forums/@ADMINconfig.php : PHP Config file may contain database IDs and passwords.
    ///////////////////////////////////

and much more.....Now think that the site is:www.mmm.biz
    I tried:www.mmm.biz/cgi-perl/gm-authors.cgi after I saw this result:
    "+ OSVDB-0: GET /cgi-perl/gm-authors.cgi ....."

but the site says:
    "The page you requested could not be found...
    Click here to continue"

Now my question is that what's the interpretation of nikto results? Where did he get /cgi-perl/gm-authors.cgi if it does not exists? or where can I access to this directory or others?

I searched a lot for an interpretation example of nikto results but I didn't found anything. Please let me if you know any.

Thanks a lot

Just Another Geek
    They're the tests being done, not the results?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Nikto looks at several things that are returned by the webserver. It probably was confused by a result and reported it. As with any scanning tool, it is wise to double check the results for false positives.

And those are results, it only shows what was found, not what was tested (at least by default).
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Thanks

Thanks my friends. Now I have understood that these scanners gives sometimes "false positives". Yes those are tests that have been done but the nikto's conclusion from site's response is not always correct. About double checking, it's a good idea but in the case I'm working on, it takes a very long time since the findings are several pages. That site is definitely vulnerable (I have some evidences) and I'm trying to scan it with other scanners too.
    (By the way, being a little playful I will be so happy if some of you has time and likes to help me in fighting that site )
    Thanks

Just Another Geek
    One note.. Accessing http://1.2.3.4 might be different from http://www.mysite.com. Nikto may be scanning the IP instead of the virtual host.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.