So...let me tell you why I am here today... I have been slowly coming to grips that my companies small business ways of doing things is no longer going to work for our network. We do a lot of PS3 and XBOX 360 game development and it is a network hog to say the least. Especially when 60 people are using the network shoving tons of data back and forth from users to servers to consoles. Luckily everything is within range for copper so that helps. We have roughly 200 network devices (nearly all Gb capable, except for the 360s) + 50 or so phones.

Since I am asking the experts or so I believe, what is everyone's opinion of a solid core switch personal or what you have heard. I really can't afford Cisco, but have been looking at HP's Procurve line and it seems to be the right fit especially the 5400 series, specifically the 5412zl. However this is only my more or less amature opinion as I am not an expert or certified by any means. I really want our network to fly, any ideas how to get it off the ground?

The NETWORK BASICs: 4 * 48 port network switches (mixed 10/100 and Gb, all copper cat 5e) and 4 * 24 port POE phone switches. One WAP. Some printers,Plotters, etc. A bunch of servers and a whole lotta game build servers and 50+ users on high end machines. Switches are mostly daisy chained because only a couple connections run from the main and secondary wiring closet (1 line for phones and 2 lines for everything else), but I am having 3 more runs installed (cat 5e).