Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ADD / Split from OSs

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by gore
    Dice, I didn't change that part, it's been there since I first posted this years ago,
    Ah.. Didn't notice it before

I really do wish I could learn C sometimes. It's frustrating as crap when it take me 45 minutes to read ONE page in a teach yourself C book because I have a major problem comprehending what is on the page. I can read it 50 times and not remember it, yet I look at a Linux doc ONCE and can almost tell you exactly what it said. I'm not sure if it's me being lazy AND the ADD, or just the ADD but I have tried for 7 years now to learn coding, and not HTML or something but an actual language. I still can't.
    < is being tested for (adult) ADD as we speak..

If I could, and I really want to, the main reason is to work on UNIX based stuff.
    The trick is to hyperfocus, easily done for someone with ADD
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    What exactly is hyperfocus because i am sure i have a variant of add :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

If it's what I think he means, it's basically using your learning disability as an advantage. I do this while driving in heavy traffic and used it when I used to street race and was doing in excess of 120 MPH, which, normally, a speed that high can be dangerous to drive at, but having ADD and a short attention span, I used it to an advantage as my mind wonders QUICKLY so I can look for other cars on the road, think about what I'm going to do at the next turn, and the cars next to me trying to win, all at once. This is of course because, well, I can't concentrate on ONE thing very well, so I concentrate on 50 things instead which keeps me from losing focus.

The fact that if you hit another car or a wall at 120 MPH kind of helps you focus too lol.

My brain can sometimes work like a computer:

I can't do division

I have ADD therefore I single task, but split them up into chunks like "Check speed, check left window to see how close other car is, check right side, watch road, check for other drivers, repeat" sort of like a processor does in a multi tasking OS like UNIX. You aren't actually running a Media Player and a Web Browser at the same time, the OS is telling the processor to give this app a few micro seconds of CPU then go back to the browser and give it some, then back to the MP3 player, and then load Vi and so on.

It makes more sense in my head but that's a pretty good example. You just split up the things you need to watch for into packets and process each one a little at a time, which means my attention span being short doesn't come into the picture at all because I'm switching my attention from the road to the car next to me to the speedometer and back and forth multiple times.

I've only lost twice and it was to my best friend who had a bigger engine. I think I maxed at 130 MPH on a 4 lane freeway with other cars to watch for and, even though I admit it was stupid, I used to do "tricks" and "stunts" like a BMX bike does; I'd get right next to a semi and then SLOWLY move in, adjust speed, and then the passenger in the car could touch their truck without me swerving, while going around a sharp turn....And VERY quickly speeding up and continuing on because trucks that size with 18 wheels generally have a 7 inch swerve path.

Next time you're on a freeway and you see a semi going around a corner sharp turn, watch them and the lines on the road. You'll note there is about 7 inches or so that they move in between when doing that because of the size of their trucks. They'll go around the turn, and generally kind of go to the left of the lines by about 4 inches, and then to the right of the line by 3 or so inches, and if you time it just right, and know EXACTLY how to time the pedals and breaks (which are the trickiest part) you can get literally right next to one and touch it without losing control.

I haven't ever gone sky diving, and neither had my friends in the car, but I can almost guarantee that the rush from doing that was similar.

Don't do that though, seriously. The rush might be huge, but if the trucker hasn't slept, or isn't very good at driving, you're seriously putting lives at risk. I can tell which truckers are really good at what they do and have had proper training by watching them from a mile back or so as I'm coming up behind them, and it takes time to learn the smallest of movements can make your car totally spin off the road.

I also used to do controlled slides INTO those little medians on the freeway where cops sit and watch how fast people are going. I only pulled that off once, at 90 MPH, and I won't be doing it again.

And the weird part was, it wasn't because I wanted to impress, it was because I realized we were on the wrong freeway and needed to get onto the one going the other way. I was to pissed about having to turn around and how much gas I wasted to think about it and just looked behind me real quick to make sure no one was behind me for a few miles, or at all, slammed on the breaks and cut the wheel jsut right, and we drifted sideways through the median and onto the other freeway going the other direction, which had a friend's jaw in his lap when I did it since not very many people do that. I looked behind me first to make sure no one was behind me at all, and then looked at the other side of the freeway and saw no cars were coming for about a mile, so I drifted sideways onto the other freeway through the median at about 90 MPH and once we had gotten to the other side we were doing about 60 MPH. Don't try that either, you need a LOT of room, and at least 4 lanes to slide right.... lol. Not to mention if you aren't good at sliding in a car you'll probably hit someone and die.

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Cider
    What exactly is hyperfocus because i am sure i have a variant of add :P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocus

It basically means you forget anything and everything surrounding you even exists.. Happens to me every time i sit behind a computer to figure something out

(We may need to split this off into an ADD specific thread, seems there's a lot of interest )
    Last edited by SirDice; July 30th, 2008 at 02:27 PM.
    Oliver's Law:

ADD / Split from OSs

Just merging some posts

"From a medical viewpoint, hyperfocus is thought to result from abnormally low levels of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that is particularly active in the brain's frontal lobes. This dopamine deficiency makes it hard to "shift gears" to take up boring-but-necessary tasks."

I guess that's why Hydrocodone helps me concentrate... I HAVE been saying it for years now lol.

SOrry i poseted in the older post, delete it.

I also have trouble with this like gore said. studying for my network + exam is a nightmare. Yes i understand it but I just get really bored really quickly and lose concentration.

Any suggestions. Im willing to try anything :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Can someone reply im so interested :P
    Albert Einstein

Just Another Geek
    For me it helps to set my mind to doing it. Cut off any and all distractions (turn off the tv/radio/whatever). And start doing it. Once you're going don't stop..
    Oliver's Law:

Alright, deleted your other post as requested, and concentration is weird for me as I said.