Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Threat named AntivirusXP

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Well to be honest with you I have never messed with it.

Would be nice to do this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

hi

go to microsoft.com ! go to downloads and hit Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and Windows® Defender both excellent programs! and will take care of this nasty bit!!! I should know I had it too!!

Banned
    I've had a number of machines with this nasty thing over the last couple of days, and I have found that Avast's boot-time scan does an excellent job of removing it. Simply install the free version from http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html , and tell it to perform a scan at boot-up. I've done this with 3 or so computers with this AntivirusXP stuff, and they seem completely clean after Avast's boot scan.

Two new rogue domains for this crapware:

antivirus-2008a-pro.com
    antivirus-2008y-pro.com
    Add them in your HOSTS file, blocklist or restricted sites. If you are using OpenDNS and have an account, add them too.

This malware is going crazy affecting everyone I know.

Pandas management in response to me complaining about PAnda not stopping it or removing it is basically nothing. great.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Well Cider, I find that one a hard position to understand

What about all these comparatives like VB100? If you don't respond to this sort of crap, you will fail the AV comparative tests, which doesn't exactly recommend your product does it?

My view is (at this point):

1. AV/Security Suites are in a very competitive market.
    2. If your pay for product won't even equally perform Microsoft's free stuff ( not the sharpest tool in the box?) you are on the way out of the market.
    3. If you cannot find marketing partnerships with hardware and OEM suppliers, you are always going to be "off the medal podium"

Perhaps the "church" of scientology could give your management "spiritual guidance"?

If you don't understand that, just Google for why Panda don't sell in France?
    Last edited by nihil; August 17th, 2008 at 11:53 AM.

Has anyone had success in regaining control of their desktop background image after removing this nasty little bugger? I've tried various removal techniques and still can not change or remove the background image that comaes with this program. Seems it stripped a lot fo the themes for my tablet PC too.

To be honest I haven't ran into an issue where this particualar program would not allow you to change your background after its removed.. Its possible your that something else is wrong... but in order to determin that more information must be provided.

1. The all important question.. What happens when you try? its basic but gives good information.

does it allow you to change it and then it reverts back after a reboot? Does your computer crash when you attempt to change it? Do you get an error message stating your administrator has removed access blah blah blah? Can you get into your run menu, registry, taskmgr?

2. What is your background image currently?
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"

Quote Originally Posted by sgilligan
    Has anyone had success in regaining control of their desktop background image after removing this nasty little bugger? I've tried various removal techniques and still can not change or remove the background image that comaes with this program. Seems it stripped a lot fo the themes for my tablet PC too.
    So far i have had no problems with the latest Smitfraud and ComboFix apps..
    YES I use Both..
    then followup Installationo of a Add blocking HOSTS File..
    then with a scan from A-Squared Free,
    then NOD32.. removing the A2 app before the NOD32..
    Spybot...

5/5 in the past 24hrs.. .
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Well in the office I used spybot which seems to reverse all the erros this crap did.

I am waiting on a response from my virus department about this malware. A headache I tell you.

One thing I dont understand about malware in general - how do people get infected I know it sounds stupid but I rarely get hit by something

quite odd.

I always ask my clients what were you doing at the time of infection, I rarely get a legitimate answer however when I do it is always surfing dodgy sites ...
    Albert Einstein