Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IT teleworking = "green"?

IT teleworking = "green"?

I came across this and thought it a rather interesting slant on the whole global warming/carbon emissions/ fuel price debate.

http://www.hackinthebox.org/index.ph...icle&sid=27662

Apparently teleworkers save an enormous amount in terms of fuel costs.

If people start to take advantage of this, I would imagine that it will have quite an impact on the IT security community in setting up "secure" environments to support it?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    VPNs, along with dongles, will likely get popular as could VDI and other non-desktop environments (e.g., ThinClients, tablets, smaller laptops, etc). The biggest challenge would be for a company to be able to invest in the initial up-front costs to make this happen.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Haha , tell my boss I need a small laptop or tablet PC because of eco costs. SSSSSUUUURRRRREEEE
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cider
    Haha , tell my boss I need a small laptop or tablet PC because of eco costs. SSSSSUUUURRRRREEEE
    But it's not even eco costs. It's just plain ol' bottom line. Spending $3000 for a laptop could mean monthly savings of $1000-10,000 (think saved power, saved lease space for desks and such, happier employees so less time off, etc.). Many companies are doing this and are finding they can do a lot more. Additionally, I think they are also realizing that many employees will work even more when they work from home because they often have no set "boundaries" for work and life.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

I think they are also realizing that many employees will work even more when they work from home because they often have no set "boundaries" for work and life.
    I definately agree with this. I have gone and set up my home PC so I can get email but I find that it jsut steals my bandwidth as we get a high volume of attachments that coem through for work purposes.

Virus samples etc etc.

I just think that the initial outlay would be quite heavy for laptops.

EDIT:

Um.. can someone explain this term

same study notes that the employees who teleworked

Teleworked?
    Last edited by Cider; August 4th, 2008 at 07:42 AM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Teleworked == telecommute. Just another term for the same thing. (Coined by Jack Nilles in 1973)

It's funny that this is posted. My wife told me last night that their company is going to announce today that they are moving their office and also downsizing the office. They are not reducing staff. They've always given employees the option to work from home. Now they encourage it. They are actually moving the office 20 miles north to encourage more people. They figure if most people have to drive further, spend more time in traffic, etc.; more people would work from home.

She started complaining about having to use her home internet connection for business. They already pay for her cell phone. I figure she'll save more on gas and milage on her vehicle in a week than the internet costs us.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Oh my, cant I work for that company? I would so love that!
    Albert Einstein

There are some real advantages to working at home and some real disadvantages. It's important to set the boundary that when you are working others can't ask you to do home errands and such. If it's a flex job (that is one not tied to a time schedule -- like mine can be when I'm off-platform) then you have a little more flexibility with that (I tend to do most of my work from 6am to about 1-2pm with no breaks, other than to get coffee/water and then use the rest of the day to muck around).

Albert Einstein