Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To all the programmers out there.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

To all the programmers out there.

hi there all

I will be writing my n+ in the next month.

After passing that (im sure I will) I want to broaden my mind a little bit.

http://www.intec.edu.za/live/content.php?Item_ID=62

Seeing as though I am working I cant go and study full time so I will have to do correspondance.

Would it be beneficial for me to lean towards programming?

I did abit of Java in high school but thats about it.

EDIT: Well I think an introductory course to programming will be beneficial, it will tel me whther it is for me and give me a fell into what language I would like to go http://www.intec.edu.za/courses/K-08...o-programming/

I always see c# jobs at about triple my current salary.

What does every suggest I try to obtain?

If you arent into programming you are more than welcome to give your view on this.

a MCSE , security + is also in the pipeline.

I would also very much love to get into the *nix part of things.

Please give me your opinions.
    Last edited by Cider; August 11th, 2008 at 05:29 PM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Would it be beneficial for me to lean towards programming?
    No...................you can buy code monkeys in India for less than it is worth waking up for.

I did abit of Java in high school but thats about it.
    Yeah........... I found Benzedrine sulphate more "inspirational"

I always see c# jobs at about triple my current salary.
    Recruitment agencies are like real estate agencies............ congenital liars

MCSE might well have credence in your part of the World?

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hey Nihil

Thanks for your advice as always.

MCSE is getting old isnt it :P

The salarys are straight from companies, this is not through a recruitment agency.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Well, you have to learn it first and you can bet that they only offer good money to experienced people. Getting that experience is the hard part.

Basically tier 1 helpdesk and telesales are right at the bottom of the foodchain.

The problem with going into programming is it will be an uphill struggle when you didn't start out doing it and are working full-time on something quite different.

I would say analysis, design, infrastructure support/management and project management are better fields to look at, as they demand a local presence, whereas code can be cut anywhere at any time.

Just do a Google search on C# programmers and you will see that India, China and Russia are all offering offshore development facilities.

Apart from web development, programming is actually a lot rarer than it was in my day. Most stuff is satisfied by package solutions these days.

I agree with Nihil. If you are very fresh and have never done programming before then you might want to think on that. If you become a programmer and want to work on the security then I guess application security would be your only option. AFAIK when it comes to application security, the first thing that comes to my mind is secure code (which is a broad term) and cryptography (which always has a good learning curve).

If you like databases then you should look into becoming a DBA, they are paid well.

And if you sole interest is security then *nix sys admins is the job for you but not that of a good pay.
    A laptop, internet connection and beer.

knowing a language or at least basic programing models will always help.

I've always liked visual basic and Java. Transact SQL is a must! I don't care what you are programing, from a enterprise widget to a mom pop web site, there will be a database behind the app.

AJAX, dot net, C# meh. most of the stuff I do does not require that much power. (For lack of a better term)

C, C++ sorry but you need to know the basics. But then again I know RPG and COBOL

I think Billy Gates said it best. If you want to be a good programmer, read other peoples code. That was from his days of dumpster diving. Today, as far as I'm concerned, it's all been written before.

w3schools.com is a wonderful place to try new things and see if you like. I live on devguru.com

Hope this helps.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Quote Originally Posted by dinowuff View Post
    C, C++ sorry but you need to know the basics. But then again I know RPG and COBOL
    I don't know if I'd completely agree with that. C doesn't actually require the need to understand pointers, structures, and system calls (etc), and if you start out doing command-line software, studying C isn't actually difficult, does help you learn the basics, and can help familiarize you with the CLI in the meantime.

Then once you get a grasp of what's going on doing simple things in C, you don't have to learn a new language to start doing advanced programming with hardware and whatnot.
    Last edited by metguru; April 23rd, 2012 at 05:07 PM.

well,

I would say analysis, design, infrastructure support/management and project management are better fields to look at, as they demand a local presence, whereas code can be cut anywhere at any time.

Just do a Google search on C# programmers and you will see that India, China and Russia are all offering offshore development facilities
    for any thins else :
    http://www.techyv.com/questions/what...al-programming

I'm starting with assembly language. Honestly I think once I understand a low level machine code I can breeze through the high level stuff.

If you're going to start with assembly language, I would start with something like MIPS instead of x86, as it is a reduced instruction set architecture and is easier to get the basics. Also, using the MARS simulator tends to be easier to get started with than using an x86 assembler and having to learn to deal with all the syscalls at the same time.