Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To all the programmers out there.

Got any good books on MIPS?

Since I'm not a Programmer, I think I might add some form of insight here; I'm not by any means a true Programmer, but, I do know, and think, that you should know some form of Coding.

What I mean is, you should learn something that will benefit you not just from a job, but something you can actually use in a day to day kind of thing.

For example, I use Unix a lot; Not just Linux, but BSD, which, from a technical AND Historic point of view, has more rights than System VII to be called Unix in the first place, and my views on OSs aside, it's very beneficial to know Perl, as you can do a lot of work with Perl on any Unix out there, be it Linux, Unix / BSD, and so on.

I can say almost the exact same thing for Python and Ruby. And Ruby on Rails, again, is the same. I see it all the time.

Someone else brought up the Database idea as well, and SQL is something you should aim for having at least a basic understanding of.

I don't think of HTML as a Programming Language at all, and I've gotten into Arguments before because I referred to it as a Glorified Web Browser Configuration thing. I know HTML and I can do Web Design, but I don't even remotely consider it Programming.

If I could choose languages I could just "learn" without trying though, I'd choose C, Assembler, and then Perl / Python / Ruby and Maybe Java.

So for whatever it might be worth, this is my list of good to know ****:

C
    Assembler
    Java
    Perl
    Python
    Ruby

And then, Shell Scripting for Multiple Shells is also nice. Everyone who uses a form of Unix seems to have their thoughts on what Shells / Environments they want to use, and I too, am very opinionated on that as well, because well, Linux comes with Bash as the default Shell, and BSD uses Csh as the default, which is actually TCsh, and then some people like Korn Shell (ksh) and then there's me, who installs Zsh on everything I use.

I've got BSD on my Laptop, and a Desktop, and I use Zsh on both, and, I also use it on my Linux machines. Zsh is my favorite Shell. It can understand everything Bash can, AND it can handle Korn Shell stuff.

Just a tad off topic here. I was looking for something to use to teach my 10 year old programing. Now I remember Atari BASIC and the IMB and M$ BASIC. Those were great programs to learn on. Simple logic, loops, whatnot.

I think I'm going to see if I can run BASIC on 64 bit Windows. I need to find a copy of DOS 6.11 and a 3.5" drive. Unless it's downloadable from technet. Off to google.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Friend of Site Staff
    Then this maybe of interest.
    How to install DOS 6.11 and Windows 3.1 in VMWare
    http://technologyplusblog.com/2012/c...3-1-in-vmware/

NICE Thanks
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

I don't know if you've ever heard of Liberty Basic, but it's made for more current systems, and is mostly compatible with old BASIC code, but you may have to make some minor changes to existing code (although it seems your child is just starting out, so you won't need to worry about that). I started on it when I was around 10 years old. It also has a wonderful online community that helps newer users get started. It currently only runs on windows (and wine for linux), but I believe they're working on native mac and linux versions.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosclown View Post
    Got any good books on MIPS?
    http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Organ.../dp/0123744938

this is the book I used when learning MIPS (it was the book used at our university), however it also contains a lot of information on the inner workings of computers in order to help you understand HOW the processor works, which usually results in a better programmer. I'm not sure if you want something that in depth though. And yes, it's a text book. But I usually find those are the best for learning something, at least for me.

My reason for learning assembly language was to get a better understanding of the way computers work so the more information the better. I love textbooks, i dont have to make up a problem i dont understand they do that for you.

There was a BASIC interpreter we used for "Into to Computers" I slept through in college. It ran on XP, which is sort of new enough I suspect you could get it rolling on a 64 bit OS, and with Windows 7's Ability to run crap from years ago, it would probably work.

I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was either QBASIC, or based ON that one. If you check Wikipedia for BASIC I'm pretty sure they had something on ways to use it today, which would link you to whatever still works.

Wikipedia needs at least SOME use.