Thread: Problems with john

Problems with john

Greetings.

I am having problems with john the ripper (first time I try it). I have an excercise where I am supposed to crack this: user:NTUzNTM2MDA=. But when I ran:

john file.txt
    john -single file.txt
    john -wordlistassword.lst file.txt

All of them say Loaded 0 passwords, exiting...

I don't know what is the problem and I don't find any answers to this situation in the net. Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by fastnet
    Greetings.

I am having problems with john the ripper (first time I try it). I have an excercise where I am supposed to crack this: user:NTUzNTM2MDA=. But when I ran:

john file.txt
    john -single file.txt
    john -wordlistassword.lst file.txt

All of them say Loaded 0 passwords, exiting...

I don't know what is the problem and I don't find any answers to this situation in the net. Please help.
    So how big is your password list? I don't personally use John the Ripper.. but from other tools it coold be as simple as a corrupted List file.. or empty one..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Is the example list john have with it. Is quite small but it should be enough. And actually when the program says it hasnt loaded any password, I am pretty sure it means not loaded password from the file to crack not from the password list.

You said you dont use john. What password crackers do you use? I am using Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by fastnet
    Is the example list john have with it. Is quite small but it should be enough. And actually when the program says it hasnt loaded any password, I am pretty sure it means not loaded password from the file to crack not from the password list.
    First.. my bad.. I miss read your post.. And yes .. it appears to be an issue with the Hashes list..ie your file.txt..

What version do you have? I have now got 1.71/2 depending which box is free fist will depend if the *nix or win version runs..

Current password tools.. are Cain and Ophcrack... but often the password is of no concern so then it's Locksmith
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Usually that means something about the format of your password file isn't something it can read...otherwise it would come back and list the number of passwords and the type of hash, even if it didn't have a wordlist to use.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)