Thread: Lan Icon Is Gone No Connection.

Lan Icon Is Gone No Connection.

Hello.I just formated my PC Xp Professional. Something happend to the LAN icon. I have my Cable connected to my Pc But still there is no LAN Icon. Could someone help me please because i am working hard to find out whats the problem for like 1 month. The weird thing is before i formated my pc there was the Lan Icon and I could access internet.... Please Help Me. Thank You.

Hello, and welcome to AO.

Please tell us why you formated you PC in the first place?

I am moving this thread to operating systems as it doesn't sound like a hardware issue as such.

I am sorry that I put it in the wrong section. I formated my dist because I had way too many files and I didn't want to deleted manually so I've decided that I Format.

No need to apologise, I may well be wrong in the end. It's just it that it seems too much of a coincidence that it worked before a format and didn't immediately afterwards?

Can you tell us exactly how you connect to the internet. You say "Cable", which I assume means that your Cable supplier is your internet provider? But how do you connect to that?

When you say that your icon is missing do you mean [1] the two little display screens "local area connection" one in the system tray, or [2] was it an icon on your main desktop?

If it is [1] then your device is not getting detected, if it is [2] then it looks like you need to run the installation software again...............did your ISP provide you with any?

Three things to start with:

From the Windows Control Panel:

1. <system> <device manager> <network adapters>

a. Does anything show up there?
    b. If so is it flagged as having a problem?

2. In the main list do you have any "unknown devices" and does Windows try to install any hardware when you boot?

3.<administrative tools> <event viewer> are there any error messages in the logs?

Go to control panel open up Network connections, then right click on your network card. Select properties and make sure there to check.

"Show icon in notification area when connected".

Then click "OK" and the icon should appear.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    No need to apologise, I may well be wrong in the end. It's just it that it seems too much of a coincidence that it worked before a format and didn't immediately afterwards?

Can you tell us exactly how you connect to the internet. You say "Cable", which I assume means that your Cable supplier is your internet provider? But how do you connect to that?

When you say that your icon is missing do you mean [1] the two little display screens "local area connection" one in the system tray, or [2] was it an icon on your main desktop?

If it is [1] then your device is not getting detected, if it is [2] then it looks like you need to run the installation software again...............did your ISP provide you with any?

Three things to start with:

From the Windows Control Panel:

1. <system> <device manager> <network adapters>

a. Does anything show up there?
    b. If so is it flagged as having a problem?

2. In the main list do you have any "unknown devices" and does Windows try to install any hardware when you boot?

3.<administrative tools> <event viewer> are there any error messages in the logs?
    Hmmm.. yeh it is possible that several other hardware drivers had not been installed as well as the Network card...
    Is there a Motherboard CD with the PC?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr