Thread: Opera update

Opera update

Opera is now at 9.52 so please get your update now.

http://www.opera.com/

I have been using the Secunia PSI tool and it just warned me that my version was unsupported and potentially vulnerable

You might like to check it out?

https://psi.secunia.com/

OK it's a beta RC3, but I have been running it on XP SP3 for a little while with no problems.

Free for private use

Secunia PSI - can be a bit of a joke

Insecure - hmm.. yes ... Pity it didn't have an extra category.. "Not fully uninstalled"..

It still detects uninstalled products, that have reminents in the Program files and/or registry, and warns you of the insecurity!!
    Fair enough on the duplicate installs.. Like
    Java.. isn't that stupid.. Sun still don't get it upgrade with a new install.. and leave the vulnerable old version still fully installed
    Adobe Acrobat reader - Their installer has never been able to detect a newer version installed.. and the upgrade just adds a new version.. leaving a fully operational old/new version (but not easily accessible)
    Flash Player - Oh thats right it's from Adobe isn't it

Sorry off track.. we could build a thread on that subject alone

There is an upside to PSI... It was able to detect the status of programs I keep in my Live CD setup folders.. now that I will rate as a plus BUT it didn't detect/rate the Builder software..

/EDIT: BTW thanks for the inform about Opera.. not a great fan .. but do check it out from time to time to see if I have changed enough to use it..
    Last edited by Und3ertak3r; August 27th, 2008 at 11:57 PM.
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thanks for the Opera update notice. I have it installed but don't use it that much.
    Mainly for cross browser testing but that is about all.

And i'm going to take a looksie at the psi tool, haven't used it before, so i'm going to check it out.

Insecure - hmm.. yes ... Pity it didn't have an extra category.. "Not fully uninstalled"..

It still detects uninstalled products, that have reminents in the Program files and/or registry, and warns you of the insecurity!!
    Well it is still in beta, and it might be a bit difficult to figure out if you have a screwed up install, a screwed up uninstall or just an incomplete uninstall.

On a personal note, I haven't seen the incomplete uninstall (remnants) issue myself.

I know some people here use Opera, so I thought it was worth the heads up, even though I only use it for cross-checking much like t34b4g5.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Well it is still in beta, and it might be a bit difficult to figure out if you have a screwed up install, a screwed up uninstall or just an incomplete uninstall.

On a personal note, I haven't seen the incomplete uninstall (remnants) issue myself.

I know some people here use Opera, so I thought it was worth the heads up, even though I only use it for cross-checking much like t34b4g5.

It had me shocked with nearly 5 installs of FF2.. now this is where it could be helpful or a pain.. it found my portable editions of FF and the Live CD data cabs..... handy.. yep.. found several live/portable apps that had been updated (not to the full version..but better than where they were)..
    PSI is a handy salesman for ones time to some iffy clients.. pity it isn't in a portable version..

Opera.. one advantage was would render pages in a similar manor to IE.. with out the swiss cheese effect..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Quote Originally Posted by Und3ertak3r
    Opera.. one advantage was would render pages in a similar manor to IE.. with out the swiss cheese effect..
    Swiss Cheese...

I'm still having a little giggle while typing this out.

Had a bit of a play around with that psi tool, and it's not good, but it's not bad.

Undies~

PSI is a handy salesman for ones time to some iffy clients.. pity it isn't in a portable version..
    As I said, this is just a beta, and it is the "free to private individuals" version. I believe that there is going to be a professional (pay for) product and I would imagine that it will have to support remote and network deployment. That will give you a portable product?

Incidentally, with this version please turn it off when you have finished. It defaults to run all the time, which I would consider to be a waste of resources for private computers.