Pink sidewalk, pink sky: Digital camera woes

Thread: Pink sidewalk, pink sky: Digital camera woes

Angry Pink sidewalk, pink sky: Digital camera woes

Ok, this isn't security related in the least, but I don't frequent any other forums with smart techies.

Heres the issue. We have an employee with a Kodak digital camera. He has been using it for over a year now with no issues. Over the past 3 months, he's had 4 photos that were very unusual out of the ~300 that were taken. In one, the sidewalk shows up pink. Its a normal grey-whitish sidewalk, you can tell from the other pictures before and after this one. The plants are green like normal, flowers look normal, even the extension cord that runs from the nice green grass over the sidewalk is colored correctly bright orange. But the sidewalk is pink...

In another photo, the blue sky is pink... everything else is colored correctly in that picture as well...

Is there some setting that may cause oddball issues like this? Maybe like red-eye technology or something?

What bothers me is the frequency in which the problem photos show up, only like 1 in 100 are doing this. I would assume (I know, never assume) that a mechanical problem would happen more frequently.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Point me to another forum maybe?

Any help appriciated.

Thanks guys and gals!
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Just Another Geek
    Sounds like your white-balance is screwed up...

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...te-balance.htm
    Last edited by SirDice; August 28th, 2008 at 08:30 AM.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hmmm, sounds like he's getting some real funky gear........... can you find out who deals for him?

If it is only 4 out of 300 the problem is obviously intermittent and will not be the settings, unless the conditions are beyond their capability to resolve. This can sometimes happen with very bright and high contrast or the sky if you are on full zoom. Also if the lighting is the wrong type for the colour temperature setting.

I take it that the deliniation between the areas that are pink exactly match the feature rather than being a patch?............... pink patches on digital photos generally mean the photographer got their finger in the way

Unfortunately it sounds like he is having problems with the image sensor. If it starts to get progressively worse (more frequent) then that is almost certainly the case. If it does not, then it is probably technical limitations of the camera and/or user error.

In reality, 4 failures in 300 is bloody good, particularly for an automatic camera, which obviously uses pre-set assumptions or compromises.

BS, EnCE, ACE, Cellebrite 11001001's Avatar
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Red sidewalk at night ... pedestrian's delight?
    That's Officer 11001001 to you...
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me