dcsimg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skiddie Caught?

What IT department? It's a middle school.
    Congratulations............. you catch on fast:

The best jobs are in county hall and they don't even think about what is happening outside their little political silo. So the problem is a lack of a coherent management structure:

1. Security model
    2. Security processes
    3. Security procedures
    4. Security processes
    And:

It seems to be the usual problem..............top down. From the little research I have done this is a state funded school so will be managed by a county education authority with some oversight by the state.

If it is anything like over here, the education authority will be based some distance away. Mine is about 24 miles, for example. My local schools cannot afford more than one or two people to look after everything on site

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    No Harm No Foul.

As mentioned by various people, the kid is school age and there was no malicious intent (If there was, the kid would have made sure of a 0% chance of being caught at the time).

It would have been a boast thing among his mates or likewise. However, that aside - I posted because as i was reading it occured to me a thread like this would do well in the hands of the media......

An independant board of "IT Experts" making comments and observations about the collussal stuff up in the EDU dept. The 100hrs+ work load is just complete BS for the IT staff to cover themselves - Noone in their right mind would proclaim a quick-solution that anyone could do when their jobs are hanging by a thread.

Any takes on directing media to this thread? *Steps back from firing line*

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Banned
    the kid is school age and there was no malicious intent (If there was, the kid would have made sure of a 0% chance of being caught at the time).
    If there was no malicious intent people wouldn't even point out any wrongdoing.
    (If there was, the kid would have made sure of a 0% chance of being caught at the time).
    You're trying to imply that more planning would be involved. I doubt that.

If there was no malicious intent people wouldn't even point out any wrongdoing.
    I am sorry to have to disillusion you there. Gross over-reaction is actually very common amongst incompetents to create a smokescreen to cover their incompetence. You will have to take that one on trust, but I do have considerable experience of working with local and national government employees.

I do not believe that yours are much different from ours?

You're trying to imply that more planning would be involved. I doubt that.
    It would if the intentions were malicious rather than mischivious.

There is absolutely no evidence of this, and I feel that the local police's lack of comment is rather "interesting?"

For the life of me I cannot see this as more than a schoolkid messing around? The online info about the school tells you the setup?

1 computer per five kids or one each in the technical rooms. Teacher has a master computer where all student activity can be watched? Hell's teeth if you were in any way malicious don't you think you would have worked that out?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Well SD,

Yes, but to be perfectly honest, in my case computers hadn't been invented
    How old are you exactly? The first computer was designed over a hundred years ago. And of course Zuse made actual progress in Germany back in the 30s and 40s.... You'd have to be at least a hundred years old to say something like that

It depends how you define "computer". Given the context, I was referring to PCs in schools or the home.

In 1971, the microprocessor went on sale. Developed by Ted Hoff of Intel, the Intel 4004 was to revolutionise home computing. The 4004 cost just over £3000 in today’s money but by 1972, Intel had produced the 8008 which was far more powerful that the 4004 but cost a tenth of the price of the 4004. Microprocessors had a multitude of uses but they could be used at the heart of true personal computers.
    When I was 16 this was what I had to use in school:

http://home.comcast.net/~wtodhner/calcs.html

The mushroom coloured one at the bottom of the page

The "arithmetometer"....................... much faster than log tables

I know, I just had to push some buttons to see which one was your on switch lol

Kids have always done stupid ****. When I was a kid we played outside, rode our bikes (Schwinn, banana seat, lime green, with the slick on the back, sweet ride :-) ), carried our bb guns, swam in the creek, roamed in the woods, ice skated and went sledding in the winter. Now kids sit on their computers or game consoles all day.

We occasionally shot lights or windows with our bb guns, blew up frogs or crawdads with firecrackers. If we got caught damaging the neighbor's property we got our asses whipped, had to pay for it, but it was written off as boys will be boys. Now the kids do dumb **** with their computers since that is what they spend their time doing. When they get caught you would think the world was in danger of ending.
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Nihil,

I can relate. My high school had an IBM 1130 computer. We programmed in Fortran and Basic. Punched cards and paper tape. Everything had to fit in 8k.

We weren't allowed to use calculators in school, had to memorize the multiplication tables. In physics we were allowed to use slide rules.

COBOL is coming back!!!!
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Cobol - Isnt that the name of the planet where the gods went in Battle Star Galactica?> The Remake is awesome btw.....

I wonder how much of a coincidence it is between the language and the named planet.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein