Thread: Linksys Wireless Router Fried

Linksys Wireless Router Fried

Hey all,

Long time no post/lurk....

A month or so ago I bought a Linksys Wireless-N Router with storage link. It was working great with my media center extender, until this morning I noticed my network was down. I checked the router, and sure enough, it's completely dead. I checked my surge protector, tried switching plugs and I get absolutely no response. My modem, connected to the same power strip, works just fine.

So, my question is, am I screwed? What could have happened, and has anyone else had this happen before with linksys products? Previously I was using a netgear rangemax router and it has been working fine for several years now. I

Do you own a Multi Meter?

Do a voltage test on the plug pack.. if you don't have the marked output voltage-contact your supplier (should be one of the following 5, 7.5, 9 or 12V.. but will be marked on the Pack)..
    sometimes the power packs just die.. and at a month .. it is certainly warranty..and certainly just a random failure
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    certainly just a random failure
    It does happen. I would wager the device itself is not faulty, but only the power supply as stated by Und3rtak3r.

However, equally as common as a modem failure / hdd failure without any prior warning or indication.

AFAIK, this is not a "common" linksys issue - First i've ever heard of

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

When I worked as a tech in a retail store I saw one or two dead routers a month, some of which were new. As stated already, the power supply was faulty and managed to short out the (fairly delicate) circuit board inside the router. It's quite possible that now both are dead...

Also, fun story... I allowed someone to borrow my router and they returned it with the wrong power cord. The adapter still fit into the router but it literally set it on fire. Apparently it went to something that demanded a lot more juice.

Routers "just die" all the time. Think about it, they sell them at a store for $30-$40 and the store always makes profit as well as the MFG and distributor. Basically im saying that they are made cheaply :-P

Thanks for all the replies. Surprisingly it wasn't the power supply. While packaging up the router to return to Linksys for a replacement, I heard something moving around inside, like a piece of the board broke off. Either way, I was very pleased that a product I bought on ebay could be replaced via the manufacturer.

Just so you know, usually when there is something clunking around inside like that it is because there was a capacitor that popped and the top for it went flying :-P

Quote Originally Posted by LateNightLurker
    Thanks for all the replies. Surprisingly it wasn't the power supply. While packaging up the router to return to Linksys for a replacement, I heard something moving around inside, like a piece of the board broke off. Either way, I was very pleased that a product I bought on ebay could be replaced via the manufacturer.
    Did you tell them you purchased it from e-bay? Did they ask you to provide the info for the auction?

Just wondering, because usually as soon as you tell a tech you bought it from ebay, they tell you too bad.

Here's the scoop

Yes. I simply talked to a rep with the online chat system, explained I had purchased the router recently via ebay, and that it didn't work. They asked for the serial #. They had me first check the power supply. If you're unable to check it, it's likely they will want to you to test that before you get a replacement. Once confirmed the power supply worked, an RMA was issued. No questions about where I purchased it, or even a confirmation as to when it was purchased. I received the new router in two days. My new one is a new version that works great. I'm very surprised at the support I received!