Thread: Wireless Radio connection

Wireless Radio connection

Pls can anyone help me with actual details on how to set up a wireless radio connection that will use access point.

Also is it possible for me set up a single mast that will cover at least 1000km how many ft will that be?

please i need help:

Just Another Geek
    1 inch = 2.54 cm; 100cm = 1m; 1000m = 1Km

1000Km is about 3.280.840 ft

With a single mast? Not very likely, not unless you plan on setting up a really big one that uses a huge amount of power.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDice
    1 inch = 2.54 cm; 100cm = 1m; 1000m = 1Km

1000Km is about 3.280.840 ft

With a single mast? Not very likely, not unless you plan on setting up a really big one that uses a huge amount of power.
    MAy get 1000km if the show is installed atop Kilimanjaro and you have a little extra power behind the AP..and the clients have good directional aerials...

I think the World record for WiFi is a 304-kilometre (188.9-mile) link
    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3695986

Curvature of the Earth is your first PITA, then atmospheric absorption, h2o, then the inverse square law, then the law of diminishing returns..

If you want to cover a large area..and not wanting to invest big money...lookup MESH networks..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thanks for your reply, pls do u know how i can set it up using like 3 different mast, i go through a lot of articles online but they dont give me the exact figures of what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by zeron
    Thanks for your reply, pls do u know how i can set it up using like 3 different mast, i go through a lot of articles online but they dont give me the exact figures of what to do?
    What exactly are you attempting?

1/ A point to Point link? ie your in Town A.. friend is in Town B 1000km away?

Or

2/ are you trying to get WLAN access to as many people over 1000km radius?

on both you need to know the Topography of the area to even have a hope of planning the deal.. the first would be easier as you only need a topographic profile..

BTW: Did you Do a search on MESH or MESH NETWORKS.?... May help answer your question if it was the later?

Standard WLAN/WiFi range is MAX a few hundred metres .. clear line of site.. beyond that you need amplifiers and hi-gain/directional aerials..
    Your masts are just to lift the aerial above the ground to improve your clear line of site..... How high are these "masts", that your looking at, supposed to be?
    How are you connecting the wifi equipment to the aerial, where are you thinking of installing the WiFi equipment..in relation to the aerials that is.
    Last edited by Und3ertak3r; September 14th, 2008 at 10:03 AM.
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr