Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VPN

VPN

I am working on a project at work with Microsoft RMS, and need to create a VPN connection from one place to another. I've tried to use the VPN abilities of windows XP to create the host and client of the connections, but I can't seem to get it to work. I'm fairly new to VPNs, so it may be something simple. The network that's hosting it is behind a DSL modem and a switch between the computers. The client is behind a Cable modem and a switch. I'm not sure if the switches affect the networking or not, but I don't see any way to connect to them to change any settings to begin with

AOs Resident Troll
    Heres a document to start reading...there are different protocols you can use...so depending on your choice will depend on what ports are needed to be open in the firewall(s).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/n.../bb545442.aspx

Both machines are XP Pro I hope...you may have limitations with the home version (dont know ...dont use it)

You may want to replace the switches with routers (with vpn pass through) to better manage and route the traffic....IMHO.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

The switches will effect the connection of course. If you are running a software VPN I would install routers and forward the ports used by the VPNs to the correct computers. It is always better to use a hardware VPN though. Its about $100 for a Netgear Prosafe VPN router (you will need 2).

AOs Resident Troll
    I am sorry...but how do switches affect VPNs??

Maybe managed switches that are configured specifically .....AFAIK basic switches just pass the traffic through.....doesnt matter what protocol

MLF

If it is an unmanaged switch then when the client vpn tries to reach the server vpn it the switch on the server side will not know where to route the traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by oofki
    If it is an unmanaged switch then when the client vpn tries to reach the server vpn it the switch on the server side will not know where to route the traffic.
    I'm going to have to agree with MLF on this one, I dont think an unmanaged switch would interfere with a VPN. Atleast, they don't interfere with the hardware VPNs that I use.

AOs Resident Troll
    If it is an unmanaged switch then when the client vpn tries to reach the server vpn it the switch on the server side will not know where to route the traffic

It uses a the IP address of the vpn server

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; September 19th, 2008 at 11:54 AM.

Just Another Geek
    A switch (managed or not) doesn't interfere with anything. My guess is one or both sides use NAT. Some VPN protocols can't handle NAT'ed connections.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AOs Resident Troll
    I thought so Sir Dice....wasnt sure of managed switches as I havent worked with them....so was unsure of whether you could block certain protocols\traffic\ports etc.

MLF

MLF, what would the IP of the VPN server be? Wouldn't it be an internal IP...