Thread: Remote software

Hybrid View

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Remote software

Hey all

I am looking at getting software so I can support remote clients.

Have downloaded Teamviewer which is free.

Basically im looking for some sort of software that doesnt have to be downloaded by the customer or anything.

This teamviewer send an email to the client where they download a 1MB file, install it and get a unique ID which they tell me and I use the software on my side to login remotely.

I do not want to use RDP as then I have to get the static IP blah blah which is a hassle if you talking to someone whom doesnt know which one is the monitor and which one is the box.

Any advice on other products or advice on this one.

Thanks.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Smile

I use Logmein (www.logmein.com). Amazingly good software... its free to install Logmein Free, you pay if you want remote printing function and file transfer (Logmein Pro). You can then log into your account via their website and access all your remotely supported clients. You need to have installed the client on their side first. The Logmein website has many different remote access products also.

They also have a Logmein Ignition panel you can use, but has to be paid for. It looks a bit like using MSN messenger with a list of all the computers you support. If you do a lot of support though, its well worth it. You can even install the Logmein Ignition software on a USB stick and carry it around with you. PLug the USB stick into any PC that has internet and you will automatically be prompted to open Logmein Ignition, sign in and 'Vuala!' the whole list of your remotely access PC's are there.

I currently have about 200 PC's on my list. I can honestly say, its the best remote software I have used... a lot of features.

Good Luck!

Logmein and logmein rescue. Logmein installs something that runs in the background that enables you to connect. Logmein rescue does not. You log into your account, provide them a PIN to enter into a website on their side, and it connects you. Other options are VNC, remote desktop, remote assistance, and I've heard of another called dial-a-PC or something. I use Logmein for my personal clients and VNC/Remote Desktop/Remote Assistance for the clients I help at work.

tightvnc

www.tightvnc.com

unix/windows/linux compat.

can be used with vnc or tightvnc

Maybe try this?
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

AOs Resident Troll
    On of our vendors uses Remote Assist...users connect to a secure site....and allow you to connect to them. Very simple.

http://try.webex.com/meet/sem/produc...ebexUS_1015029

as for finding the clients IP.... have the client go to this site
    http://whatismyip.com/

Depending on the kind of security you require...will determine the product you use.

Some remote applications require ports opened on firewalls\routers....at both ends..and software to be installed and configured at both ends...where a web appplication would just require the client to connect to a website.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Cider .. mate..

Without using RDP.. it will be a case of installing software into clients PCs.. why not just give them a download of a script to give them their external IP? but what if they are behind a NAT router?

Teamviewer, Gotoassist are two that I have used both give the client the security of being client initiated AND work from behind firewalls

on the subject of VNC's... UltraVNC .. there is a tool for it that can give you a similar deal to TV and GTA.. via PCHelpWare.. that is.. but asside from that Ultra is a superb VNC client/server
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi Guys,

Well with teamvier

www.teamviewer.com You send an email to a client, they recive the link to download the software (1 meg big) , they install and get a unique ID and pass. They phone and let you know. You log in.

Pretty simple. I do not go to the client in person I do the telephone support so soemthign very small to isntall that the client can do would be great.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Jsut one moe thing to add.

Tuffy - y9our software would work great if they are regular clients. Mine are not, they coem and go, I jsut do support for our product.

So basically its a new set of clients every 24 hours.
    Albert Einstein