Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internet Connection Sharing Problem

You just need to leave the modem, and the router turned on. Although the computer is off the other computers connected to the router will still be able to access the interwebz etc.

which network interface (physical) does a router use? ANd as per teabags, the other computers wll be able to access the interet even when the computer is on. Let me tell you that the modem I use is a USB modem which functions only in Windows. ALso, since it is a USB modem, I do not think that this could be anyway directly connected to the router!

So the concept is not fitting well in m mind. Can someone please tell me of a diagnostic software which could tell me the problem or that how to use a proxy in order to share the IC than making me buy a router, please ? Till them I would like to find something on the internet by myself.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    I posted the link to MS "how to do it" already

although I personally would use SUSE for the internet sharing....for some strange reason I think you may experience issues sharing through the MS OS.

and your IP addressing is wrong....which I also already told you that too.

I cant read it for you...that is something you will have to do all by your lonesome.

Modem>router>computers is probably the easiest way ....are you saying your modem has no ethernet connection??? Is it yours or the ISPs? Ask the ISP for a different one.

Good luck....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Just Another Geek
    A decent cable or DSL router would have a build-in cable/dsl modem. So you wouldn't need your "old" usb modem anymore.

It's basically a modem (WAN interface), router (NAT, firewall) and usually a 4 port switch (LAN interfaces) all rolled into a neat little package

Just a note, I've seen those usb modems before.. It really only has a USB connection and a WAN (cable or DSL) connection. Usually sold to people who don't have a network and want to get on the internet with 1 computer. Horrible little things
    Last edited by SirDice; September 26th, 2008 at 04:44 PM.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Well, i found the solution. The problem was something called as a gateway mode! I had made the interface trusted on the host computer, but after going through the help that came with the host computer firewall, I came to know that ICS wont work untill gateway mode is enabled.

So I enabled that thing and now it is working fine. Thanks anyway for all your help guys.

- Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    Good to hear the MS allows other OSes to connect through them....and you solved your issue

so are you still using 192.168.0.0....cause that may cause other issues down the line

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by SirDice
    A decent cable or DSL router would have a build-in cable/dsl modem. So you wouldn't need your "old" usb modem anymore.

It's basically a modem (WAN interface), router (NAT, firewall) and usually a 4 port switch (LAN interfaces) all rolled into a neat little package

Just a note, I've seen those usb modems before.. It really only has a USB connection and a WAN (cable or DSL) connection. Usually sold to people who don't have a network and want to get on the internet with 1 computer. Horrible little things
    Well, thanks morgan, I know that my settings was wrong. But then I thought that why not make use of the 'userfriendliness' of the MS OS. SO I did configure the firewall and then I launched the Network Setup Wizard and things went fine. BTW, I found that the settings that I had posted on the first post were fine enough and they do work. Anyway thant thing is solved now.

@SirDice: Okay I know that its always better to be on Linux. Even I prefer that. But sadly, I use a modem whose drivers were provided for Windows only and my fav Linux distro "openSUSE' does not have its drivers. SO there is no Way I would be able to use that thing on Linux.

Also,Since my modem is not any simple dialup or DSL or ADSL device, I think that the router thing will not work. Additionally, MY ISP Customizes the modem to its network and hence is locked to my ISP. SO there is no way I would be use that modem on or (directly) via any router.

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jockey0109
    Well, thanks morgan, I know that my settings was wrong. But then I thought that why not make use of the 'userfriendliness' of the MS OS. SO I did configure the firewall and then I launched the Network Setup Wizard and things went fine. BTW, I found that the settings that I had posted on the first post were fine enough and they do work. Anyway thant thing is solved now.

@SirDice: Okay I know that its always better to be on Linux. Even I prefer that. But sadly, I use a modem whose drivers were provided for Windows only and my fav Linux distro "openSUSE' does not have its drivers. SO there is no Way I would be able to use that thing on Linux.

Also,Since my modem is not any simple dialup or DSL or ADSL device, I think that the router thing will not work. Additionally, MY ISP Customizes the modem to its network and hence is locked to my ISP. SO there is no way I would be use that modem on or (directly) via any router.
    I get the feeling that the "Modem" is a form of "Wireless Broadband" Modem.. and yes it is a pity ....
    Just list what brand and model it is... We had some is Aus that we were told only 1 pc could be connected.. when the manufacturer had an ethernet adapter for the same .. and it was a simple (but not cost effective)

Sorry I didn't "click" as to your location in my first post.. India.. a lot of the High speed internet is Via radio (3G) and very little is via copper/POTS (DUN/ADSL)... so the solutions that work for us may not for you... so if you provide the modem brand and model.. we may be able to point you to a possible future solution.
    Last edited by Und3ertak3r; September 28th, 2008 at 11:14 PM.
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

yes the modem is a wireless broadband modem. The manufacturer is : ZTE and the model isAC8700. It is an EV-DO modem. Anyway I have used more than one computer on this modem. It was recently that it did not work! Now I have installed a proxy on the host computer but the problem is : I cannot open the secure pages. Can someone tell me abt a proxy which allows the HTTPS service as well?

- Albert Einstein

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Oh yeah 3G is so rubbish in my opinion. It is worse than wireless. We have it here in SA where it beats someone setting up a DSL or wifi connection.
    Causes me hassels!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein