Thread: Unusual site activity...?

Unusual site activity...?

I am creating a website for a small business with a partner of mine. The website is FAR from finished, but I logged on to the admin backend of the site (it's based on ZenCart) and noticed that today I got almost 400 individual visitors according to the ZC statistics. However I've plugged in Google Analytics to the site also, and it only shows about 90 hits in the past month. Not sure where the big difference lies, but I'm somewhat spooked by the huge jump in activity. Can anyone suggest where to start looking for any issues?

My site is not defaced, the products still have accurate descriptions and prices, there are no more admin accounts in the backend than the two I originally created. I'm going to check out if there are any more folders in my hosting space, as well as search through the file structure for extra files like warez or anything.

Can anyone tell me other things to look for to make sure this was just a spike in activity? I looked at the "most viewed items" and there's not 100 hits counted all together, so I'm assuming the visitors were not looking at products, and instead are possibly viewing the admin login. Maybe trying to hack the site but are unsuccessful so far??

Thanks in advance for any help! If anyone can link to a guide for hardening a zen cart site that'd be awesome. Then I can just follow directions. lol.

You should have an apache log somewhere and you can take a look through there, it will tell you who visited what page and when.

Quote Originally Posted by blakdeth77
    I am creating a website for a small business with a partner of mine. The website is FAR from finished, but I logged on to the admin backend of the site (it's based on ZenCart) and noticed that today I got almost 400 individual visitors according to the ZC statistics. However I've plugged in Google Analytics to the site also, and it only shows about 90 hits in the past month. Not sure where the big difference lies, but I'm somewhat spooked by the huge jump in activity. Can anyone suggest where to start looking for any issues?

My site is not defaced, the products still have accurate descriptions and prices, there are no more admin accounts in the backend than the two I originally created. I'm going to check out if there are any more folders in my hosting space, as well as search through the file structure for extra files like warez or anything.

Can anyone tell me other things to look for to make sure this was just a spike in activity? I looked at the "most viewed items" and there's not 100 hits counted all together, so I'm assuming the visitors were not looking at products, and instead are possibly viewing the admin login. Maybe trying to hack the site but are unsuccessful so far??

Thanks in advance for any help! If anyone can link to a guide for hardening a zen cart site that'd be awesome. Then I can just follow directions. lol.
    Does google analytics get loaded on all the same pages as your zencart statistics track for?

Browse through your access logs, see what the traffic was actually looking at. It could be you were indexed recently and have search engine traffic coming in.

Also look at your SSH logs and your .bash_history if available. Call up your hosting provider and ask them for similar logs if they're available.

I wouldn't be afraid of extra traffic on an ecommerce website, though.