Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo IM IP Capture

Yahoo IM IP Capture

Hello All,

I hope this is the proper place to submit this question.

I have been looking for a utility that will capture the IP address (and if possible the MAC address) when I receive an IM message using Yahoo messenger, when I am not present at the computer.

I can capture the IP with netstat.exe, but only if I am at the pc when the message arrives.

Does anyone know if such a utility is available?

Thanks!

You could install snort at http://www.snort.org and write a custom rule. Not sure what you want with the IP and MAC address, but you are most likely going to get the info of the Yahoo server rather than the person who sent the message to you
    There are two rules for success in life:
    Rule 1: Don't tell people everything you know.

I am seeing multiple users on yahoo with the exact same IP address.

two were supposed to be in montreal. one was supposed to be in florida.

it sounds to me like they are all the same person. i was just wondering if the same pc is being used.

It sounds like a proxy IP address to me?

Respectable businesses and people don't use yahoo..........

Go figure.........

Try MS's own Port Reporter. It'll do the trick.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Elite Hacker
    Um... Don't IMs in Yahoo pass through a yahoo server before they get to the other user? So the IP address you're seeing would be of a Yahoo server? There are only certain features withing Yahoo that are direct connections. At least, as far as I know. But with normal IMing I believe you're seeing the IP address of a Yahoo server.

I wondered about that too.

So I set up another pc with another yahoo ID and checked it out.

netstat.exe captured the IPs from the client PCs.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Um... Don't IMs in Yahoo pass through a yahoo server before they get to the other user? So the IP address you're seeing would be of a Yahoo server? There are only certain features withing Yahoo that are direct connections. At least, as far as I know. But with normal IMing I believe you're seeing the IP address of a Yahoo server.
    Exactly very true indeed. If I 'Instant Message' TurdFirgusson using yahoo you will obtain the YAHOO servers IP address not the WAN IP address issued to me by my ISP.

Whenever you start a chat session with your friend using MSN or yahoo messenger, an indirect connection between you and your friend is opened via the server, so all msgs that you receive or you send first go to server and den server fwd d msgs.

you<--------------> yahoo server <------------> ur friend

so netstat command only show the server add. , but there are some ways using dem u can trace ip of ur friend while chatting.

if u send a file to ur friend using yahoo msnger den a direct connection established between you and ur friend @ tht time use netstat -n it will show ur friendz ip. The same methot happen with voice chat or video conferencing using msnger.

when i set up the second pc and sent IMs between them i captured the the wan ip issued by the local isp of each pc. the ip addresses matached the local ip address shown in ipconfig for the local machines.

when i send an email it passes through a server yet it retains the senders ip address.