Thread: Webcam not connecting to internet

Unhappy Webcam not connecting to internet

I'm working on a client's business computer and am having a connectivity issue. All forums I've found have been less than helpful. This client does web-conferencing and cannot get his cam to connect to the server. Drivers have been reinstalled for the cam. Firewalls have been disabled. The camera is showing video locally, just not on the web page.

The only thing that happened right before this occurred was that his serial mouse broke and he switched to PS2. After it was connected the Verizon Playlinc adapter was showing no connectivity and the web cam couldn't get online. The mouse driver was just the generic, windows retrieved driver. The mouse driver was reinstalled and didn't help. The Playlinc adapter is apparently for games so I don't think the webcam is using it. Any suggestions? The conferencing software is a Verizon package I believe, not sure the name and is accessible over the webpage interface.
    sandwich.

Why is this not showing up on the front page?
    sandwich.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Because this is a general discussion and not a security one.

Have you tried a simplier webcam program like what Skype offers or Yahoo to see if it's the package interfering? Also, have you tried rebooting (the all-purpose windows fixer)? Also, have you fired up a packet sniffer to see if it's sending packets out?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I wouldn't call connectivity a security issue, but could this be moved to the proper discussion? I couldn't find an ideal one so I put it in general. Sorry.

Thanks for the suggestions, i was planning on trying other software tomorrow but the packet sniffer is a good idea. Not sure where the issue would be if the packets were not being sent since the firewall is down, internet connection is fine and the service is hosted from the website (like Stickam). Other people using the website are logging on fine apparently. Also, he doesn't use a router (unsafe, I know) so port forewarding is not an issue. And of course, the system has been rebooted multiple times.
    sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberB0b
    I wouldn't call connectivity a security issue, but could this be moved to the proper discussion? I couldn't find an ideal one so I put it in general. Sorry.
    Ok i've moved this thread into General Computer Discussions.

It should get noticed on the front page, and i decided on this area because it could be a hardware issue, or a Software issue.

Thanks for the suggestions, i was planning on trying other software tomorrow but the packet sniffer is a good idea. Not sure where the issue would be if the packets were not being sent since the firewall is down, internet connection is fine and the service is hosted from the website (like Stickam). Other people using the website are logging on fine apparently. Also, he doesn't use a router (unsafe, I know) so port forewarding is not an issue. And of course, the system has been rebooted multiple times.
    Ok what sort of IP is it? Is it a static or dynamic.

i'm thinking it's something to do with the IP that might be why the website is not able to catch the stream all the time.
    Last edited by t34b4g5; September 28th, 2008 at 08:23 AM.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

The packets can allow you to see if it's sending out requests and getting responses. At the least this would eliminate the network as being an issue and perhaps it being an issue with the system itself. BTW, is there a specific error that he is getting or is he just getting a blank screen?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AOs Resident Troll
    I had a hell of a time trying to get a logitec web cam to work with a domain account....even when making the domain account an admin of the machine.

The camera would only work with the machines local admin account....not a domian account.

It was the way the driver behaved...as a ceative camera works fine with a domain account.

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; September 29th, 2008 at 06:46 PM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I'm working on a client's business computer and am having a connectivity issue. All forums I've found have been less than helpful. This client does web-conferencing and cannot get his cam to connect to the server. Drivers have been reinstalled for the cam. Firewalls have been disabled. The camera is showing video locally, just not on the web page.

The only thing that happened right before this occurred was that his serial mouse broke and he switched to PS2. After it was connected the Verizon Playlinc adapter was showing no connectivity and the web cam couldn't get online. The mouse driver was just the generic, windows retrieved driver. The mouse driver was reinstalled and didn't help. The Playlinc adapter is apparently for games so I don't think the webcam is using it. Any suggestions? The conferencing software is a Verizon package I believe, not sure the name and is accessible over the webpage interface.
    May help knowing the OS at play.. having had a SERIAL Mouse seems to point to old hardware...and perhaps an equally old OS..
    The issue could be a simple hardware conflict causing an issue with the network card.. but if the pc is accessing the website ..sort of rules that one OUT..
    But It may still be good form to check for hardware conflicts....
    Clue to Fault here: Was working OK.. Changed Mouse.. from Serial to PS2.. Function stopped..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr