Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Configuring UTSTARCOM WA3002G4 Router

Question Configuring UTSTARCOM WA3002G4 Router

Hi

I have a UTSTARCOM WA3002G4 Router *** Modem (its a WiFi Router with 4 LAN Ports).

Help me in the configuring the router for the following scenario:

I will be needing 2 WAN Connections -

WAN 1. A 0/35 - PPPOE based connection with IGMP Multicast supported - this is required, for an "Always On" internet connection, and whoever connects to my router using either WiFi or LAN ports, he enters the network and also gets connected to Internet. (Dont worry about the security, I have a WPA2 - PSK security with AES and WEP encryption turned ON and also I have the Mac Filters enabled)

WAN 2. A 0/100 - Bridging based connection - this is for the IP TV that I have installed at my home. So, its like a LAN wire (Cat 5 cable) is connected from my Router to the IP TV Set Top Box which is then connected through a video cable to my Television Set.

Now, here's what happens -

Scenario 1 -

I only have the WAN1 connection configured, the internet works fine, anybody in the network connected thru the Router, can access the internet.

Scenario 2 -

I only have the WAN2 connection configured, the IP TV works fine. The signal goes well from my router to the Set Top Box and then to my TV set, and I can surf all the channels.

Scenario 3 -

I have both WAN1 and WAN2 connections configured on my router, this time the router behaves unexpectedly. Sometimes, the TV works, and the other times, internet works, but, in all the cases, the Internet and the IP TV wont work together.

My requirement is, the following scenario:

Scenario 4 -

Both WAN1 and WAN2 are configured on the router. If the TV is connected, the IP TV works fine (as in case of scenario 2) and if people want to use the internet, they should just connect to the router either through the LAN ports or through WIFI and they should be able to browse through the internet (as in case of Scenario 1), simultaneously.

So, can someone please help me with configuring my router according to the Scenario 4 requirement??

I need it urgent, if you need some information regarding the router please ask me.

Thanks
    CodeNameVirus

Kinda sounds like an IP address conflict...probably anywhere between the IPTV and the WAN1 port. Make sure your router's WAN setups aren't using the same IP addresses.

Not familiar with consumer-grade routers having 2 WAN connection setups.

Hi NukEvil

I have 5 machines - 1 Desktop and 4 Laptops. Out of these, 1 Laptop and 1 Desktop connect through the LAN port, and 3 laptops connect thru WiFi. All these machines, are set to Obtain the IP Setting Automatically. Should I try, assigning the IP addresses, statically?

And, one of the LAN ports, is used by IP TV.

As for the IP addresses for WAN1 and IP TV, they are obtained when I switch on the router, I cannot control them I think and also, all the times, when I see the router information page, I see these connections using a different IP. So, maybe, the problem is not there, what do you think?
    CodeNameVirus

AOs Resident Troll
    Definately use static ips for your routing

Its like trying to get your mail but you keep changing your house number....makes it pretty hard for the postman to find the right house.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hi MLF

I disabled the DHCP mode of the router and assigned the static IPs, and it started working now both the internet and TV works together, thanks a lot.

But, there's is one new problem, as I have mentioned that 3 laptops connect thru the WiFi to the internet (the modem is configured for an Always On Internet). One of these laptops is not able to connect to the internet properly.

It is able to connect thru WiFi and enter the network (I am able to see other machines and access the files) but the internet keeps coming and going often. It has Vista Business 32 bit OS in it. I tried the Diagnose and Repair of vista and it says that its not able to communicate through the DNS entered in the IP settings and recommends Resetting the Wireless Adapter, which most of times doesnt solver the problem but sometimes, the internet comes back but only for few minutes, say 10-20 minutes and goes back again, diagnosing again gives the same reason, but resetting the adapter doesnt work always.

I even tried pinging to google.com and even my tried pinging the DNS, and to both it responds as "Destination Net Unreachable".

So, what do you think can be the problem and how to solve it? Remember the other laptops using the WiFi use the same settings of TCP/IP just there IPs are different, the settings used are as follows:

IP Add: 192.168.1.31 (Laptop1)
    IP Add: 192.168.1.32 (Laptop2 - this one is giving problem)
    IP Add: 192.168.1.33 (Laptop3)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS: 218.248.240.79
    Secondary DNS: 218.248.240.135

Please tell me, how to correct this problem. I am using McAfee (which comes pre-installed in the Dell Vostro 1700 laptops).

Thanks
    CodeNameVirus

AOs Resident Troll
    Fortunately for me I am not familiar with Vista

open cmd and type

ipconfig /flushdns

That may help.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

K, try this:

Turn DHCP back on, and give the DHCP range from, say, 192.168.1.10-192.168.1.whatever.

Put your IPTV on any static IP between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.9. Leave it there.

Put all other devices (laptops, desktops, etc) on DHCP. Let them get their own IP addresses.

If setting static IPs causes your Vista laptop to get an intermittent connection, hopefully the combination of IPTV static and all others DHCP should solve the problems. Unless your router sucks...

I agree with NukEvil - assign a static IP address to the Television, and set *all* other devices to receive theirs via DHCP but limit the range to something outside of whatever the TV's address is set as.

The only problem here is, I dont know how to access the Set Top Box's configuration page to assign a static IP to it, I have called in the customer care executive of the provider, should I give you the model and make of the set top box, will you be able to help on that?

Thanks
    CodeNameVirus

An update regarding the STB (set top box of the TV), I called in the STB company, and inquired about assigning of an IP Address to the STB, they say that the STB doesnt use anything like an IP Address and there's no way you can configure the STB and assign it a static IP.

All it uses is a 0/100 bridge connections (the WAN2 connection, as I mentioned earlier).

So what to do now?
    CodeNameVirus