DVD burning problem
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DVD burning problem

DVD burning problem

Yea, it seems like a simple problem, but its really weird. My DVD burner takes somewhere around 40 minutes to burn a dvd. I looked it up online, and it seemed there was something that needed changing in the BIOS. When I went to my BIOS to change this setting, it was already at the setting I read to change it to. Has anyone had a similar problem like this?

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    The last time I burned a dvd it took a long time, I didn't time it but it could have been 40+ minutes with an 8X drive.

4G is a lot of data.

I'm interested to see what others times are.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

What sort of DVD are you burning?

if your burning a movie to dvd that has been downloaded, then is the program having to encode the file prior to burning?

a few more details would be nice.

If you are fully burning a DVD, that is a normal amount of time--
    gigabytes of data take time to burn
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Not sure if this has been asked or not, but what is the RAM access speed in the bios settings?

It may be a problem with the RAM or the bus causing a slow read which results in slow data transfer (burn)

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

I believe it writes at 16x, and no, it is not including movies being encoded. Could it have anything to do with having another CD drive on the same data ribbon? And does slave/master jumpers matter (as in, does it matter which drive is set as which)?

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    It does not matter which drive is set to which. As long as one is set to Master, and the other is set to Slave, OR BOTH are set to cable select.

When cable select jumpers are configured, the master will be the first connector from the mainboard, and the slave will be the end connector (I think lol) ... or its the other way round

Also, im not sure you quite understood what i was getting at with:
    Not sure if this has been asked or not, but what is the RAM access speed in the bios settings?

It may be a problem with the RAM or the bus causing a slow read which results in slow data transfer (burn)
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

It may be whatever burning software you are using--
    they often limit to a certain speed by default to minimize "coaster creation"
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

4.5 GB of data should take just over 5 min to burn with a 16x dvd burner and compatible media.

4.5 GB of data should take just over 5 min to burn with a 16x dvd burner and compatible media.
    Good point! which leads me to ask if this same burner with the same software and operating system and using the same media has performed faster in the past?

I have seen burners that have different speeds for different media (and not just re-writables). You can bet that the manufacturer will quote best performance in ideal conditions. So:

1. What are the speed specifications for different media?
    2. Are you re-writing?
    3. Have you tried different brands of media?
    4. Do you get the same sort of issues with burning CDs?
    5. How old is the burner, and what make and model is it?
    6. Are you including verification time?
    7. Are you writing HDD to DVD, DVD to DVD, creating a buffer first etc.
    8. What else are you running at the same time? Like your all singing all dancing anti-malware suite could be scanning the crap out of your files as you are trying to write them. Please check to see if you have selected scan on write as an option?
    9. If it used to work much faster what have you changed in terms of hardware and software since then?
    10. Are you running Spybot S&D's "teatimer" interactive scan?........... that is my "wildcard" but I have seen it really bring systems to a crawl when the hosts file gets too big.

Incidentally it might help some of us get a handle on what the performance expectations ought to be if you gave us a few more details of your OS, burning software and hardware setup