Thread: Getting someone to pay for your education

Getting someone to pay for your education

So I've heard rumors that there are companies that will pay for your education in exchange for your loyalty for X number of years.

Is this nothing more than fantasy/fiction or is there some clout behind these claims?

Personally, I'm looking at getting a master's in either IT, Counseling, or Forensic Psychology. I've also looked at law school pretty seriously. If someone were willing to pay my way through school it would make earning a grad degree MUCH easier.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Keezel,

This is the way it used to be in the US. If you read biographies like Iaccoca's, you'll see companies paying for college and the student interning for the company and then working for the company after grad.

Nowadays it's cheaper to lobby your congressperson to raise the H1B visa program because there aren't enough skilled workers.

Companies complain that workers aren't loyal but treat the workers like dirt.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Well, it doesn't happen over here. Companies expect you to have a degree before you join them; sponsorship only happens for masters and doctorates.

They will pay for professional qualifications though, such as law, engineering, accountancy, IT, and so on. But to get those, you have to be employed in the field anyway, so you are making a contribution to the organisation in the process.

The obvious way to get your academic education paid for is to join the military. That makes sense, as they are the only people I know who would have an enforceable contract if you flunk college.

With a civilian organisation you would just go bankrupt............. with the military you would go to Baghdad

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Well, it doesn't happen over here. Companies expect you to have a degree before you join them; sponsorship only happens for masters and doctorates.

They will pay for professional qualifications though, such as law, engineering, accountancy, IT, and so on. But to get those, you have to be employed in the field anyway, so you are making a contribution to the organisation in the process.

The obvious way to get your academic education paid for is to join the military. That makes sense, as they are the only people I know who would have an enforceable contract if you flunk college.

With a civilian organisation you would just go bankrupt............. with the military you would go to Baghdad
    The military definitely isn't an option b/c of my family situation right now.

I do have a bachelor's degree already and I'd be looking for someone to help me out with a master's and/or doctorate in the areas I mentioned.

I'm currently employed in the IT field in spite of having a degree in Counseling (emphasis on psych). I also have an associate's in Business Administration that I picked up by accident and a minor in Biblical Studies. I kindof had a weird path through college...