Thread: Vista and Broadband modem.

Vista and Broadband modem.

A friend of mine has recently purchased a new pc with vista. She has an existing sagem 800 dsl modem from tiscali. The setup requires both phone line and usb to be connected at the same time.

This works fine in xp but in vista.......God Help me.

I have finally installed the thing and the internet connection is fine.

However, it cuts off the phone...just like the old dial up connection.

The internet does not work if I disconnet the phone line from the dsl filter to the ethernet 10/100.

Amazingly tiscali cannot help.

BT have checked the line which is clearly working. The phone works if I un plug the modem.

Every phone jack should have a filter on it except the one with the modem on it. Is that how it is setup? That also sounds like it has NOTHING to do with Vista, it seems like a physical problem...

AOs Resident Troll
    oofki is right

This has nothing to do with Vista

try a different filter....maybe its flucked

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Oh I forgot that too good idea MLF :-) If they ARE all setup correctly you may want to get a new set of filters.

Have you got the latest driver for the modem, and is it supposed to be Vista compatible?

I have come across several adsl modems that won't play nice with Vista, so that could be your problem? Like yours, they worked fine with XP

What do Tiscali supply as a Vista compatible modem these days? They should supply you with one if you are using their service?

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    I had one case where a customer had a dsl connection shared with a phone line. There were random dropouts and then the modem would not connect.

Anyway, after some troubleshooting i noticed that we were not even getting line sync. I phoned the telco and 5 mins into the call the line was sync'd and connected. Everything was great.

To cut a long story short, the connection would drop out and lose line sync. No line sync at all, however if you made a voice call on the line the line would sync and connect again, stay stable for a while and then dropout again later.

----

So i dont know if that little story will help at all with sorting out the problem but perhaps you should go back to your provider and get them to do a line check.

If you purchased the modem through the provider they should also be offering free basic support for the product they gave you - to help get it working how you want.

[edit]The point of the story is that wierd unexplained things can happen just because it wants to. With the fact that your voice calls dont work when the dsl is connected nails it down to your provider, and in my experience dsl modems cannot cause that kind of issue on the line[/edit]

CTO
    Last edited by CybertecOne; October 11th, 2008 at 05:38 PM.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

CTO,

Over here the market model is such that the provider will supply a free modem if you sign a 1 year contract with them.

Mine have supplied two replacement Vista compatible modems

I would say that your best bet in the UK is TELL your ISP to send you a fully functional and compatible modem, or you will go with whichever ISP will comply................. sort of focuses their minds in my experience