Thread: Fitting An External rpSMA Connector To The Rear Of A Eeepc900

funny thing i just got an eeepc 900a

looks like a good mod--i wonder what aftermarket battery he is using

btw, for all interested in a 100% compat distro for eee900a, try ubuntu-eee (not eee-ubuntu)

http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/

works beautifully--absolutely perfect

i highly recommend this

I love my new toy! can you tell?
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

I've got a 900 bought it a few months ago... While I love the things, the battery is driving me nuts... I'm starting to think it might be an issue I'll have to contact them about... If I leave it sitting not plugged in the battery rapidly drains. I charged it up before a trip... When I arrived at my destination (12 hours later), the battery was dead and I hadn't even turned it on.

The mod that I figure I'll probably do first is to upgrade it to 2GB RAM.

C:\Saw: Why change the distro that's on it? I haven't had any problems with it.

For the eee, you have to unplug the battery and store it separately when you are not using it-- for some reason, something is still using power when you leave it in. I have a case for my eee and I store my battery in a different compartment and it keeps its charge that way.

I don't like the default Xandros mainly because Asus dictates how they want the partitions set up (leaving no space for anything) and I hate the easy mode interface--not to mention all the packages are outdated.

With ubuntu-eee, you get a fresh interface called Netbook Remix with all sorts of effects and translucency for no performance drop not to mention the ability to easily switch to a default desktop). Second you get the up to date ubuntu repositories so nothing is out of date--including firefox and security fixes. Thirdly, I get to set up my partitions (leaving me 1.9 gigs of space versus the 500 mb with xandros on my 4 gig solid state). Lastly, with ubuntu i can configure it how i want.

I suggest mounting the /var logs to ram with fdisk to save writing to the ssd and turning off unneeded services. Ive found the 1 Gb ram to be plenty. The atom processor is definitely the coolest little processor out there right now--great performance with the least power of any needed.

screenshot: Screenshot.jpg
    Last edited by C:\Saw; October 16th, 2008 at 05:49 PM.
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

My 900 still has the 900Mhz Celeron M, a buddy of mine was doing some research and found that in many cases the 1.6Ghz Atom performs worse than the 900Mhz Celeron.

As for space... I have a tendancy to modify where things go...

Having 4GB for /, /boot, /var and /usr was more than enough... I use /home for most things.

/home/<username>
    /home/src
    /home/svn
    /home/usr <-- everything is compiled under this and it exists in my path.

I also just stay away from easy mode.. although I like having the option for when others want to use it.

The atom sometimes is a little slower compared to the celeron, but in terms of power consumption it out performs it in everything by a vast majority--which is what i like so much about it.
    i heard with the celeron some people were getting only 90 minutes ( not sure how many cells ) on their battery. With my atom, im getting easily 4 hours browsing with the resource hog formerly known as mozilla

I never thought of mounting the var logs and such to RAM before getting this eee, but its a great idea for people with solid states.

What i wanna know is what battery the guy in the mod article is using--i should go for that

Are you using swap HTregz?
    --Socrates

Holy crap that is a good deal! Thanks oofki
    --Socrates