Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my cell phone's security compromised?

Is my cell phone's security compromised?

Greetings,

In the highly competitive trade that I work in there have been a number of competing parties in the same work group. The level of competition has involved lots of passive aggressive behaviors, gossip, rumor, innuendo, backstabbing, etc., but worst of all there has been a culture of eavesdropping that has evidenced itself in many forms.

My question is, although I know it is possible for anyone who can get there hands on your phone for a few minutes to install a hidden program on it that allows them to use it as a listening device to eavesdrop on your conversations, is there a way that I or my phone store (Verizon Wireless) or another party can detect such a program, and for that matter, if so, is it further possible to look into phone records to identify the culprit?

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    Greetings,

although I know it is possible for anyone who can get there hands on your phone for a few minutes to install a hidden program on it that allows them to use it as a listening device to eavesdrop on your conversations, is there a way that I or my phone store (Verizon Wireless) or another party can detect such a program, and for that matter, if so, is it further possible to look into phone records to identify the culprit?
    I worked at AT&T for years...and never encountered a program that would allow you to use the phone as a eavesdropping tool. I'm not saying it doesn't exist...I'm just saying that the probability of anybody obtaining the program and transfering it to your phone in a matter of minutes... is slim.

If you're worried about it...master reset your phone to clear out installed programs. If you're still concerned about it turn your phone off durring sensitive conversations...or leave it in the car.
    Last edited by Faqt; October 28th, 2008 at 12:34 AM.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

There are a few java type apps that can let someone access your phone remotly, either by bluetooth or via GPRS.

But wether there is an actual app that can let someone listen in phone calls is another thing.

such a tool that i know of that can let somone access your phone remotly that can be installed within minutes would be super bluetooth hack.

But even then the person needs to be in a close distance for them to be able to connect via bluetooth.

What kind of phone is it? Windows based/Java/Blackberry/Treo OS?

As for the phone company being able to trace it..if it's done through bluetooth they wouldn't have any record of it.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

If it were a java based application, wouldn't the affected phone be unable to run other java applications due to the java virtual machine be occupied with running the java spy app, thus allowing the phone's owner to recognize that something is incorrect with the phone?
    Knowledge is Power. Never stop learning.

Check this link to a relevant article

http://www.nacdl.org/public.nsf/01c1...ocument&Click=

I also worked for ATT as an IT tech. Att does have software to remotely access any machine connected to it's network without asking the user's permission -- ignorant people who wouldn't answer the phone anywhoos. The callcenter portion of the business uses VoIP. Each station has a device that plugs into the phone switch. Those workers even have access to email.

To answer your question: One could remote into other machine with full audio to access the java app that runs the devices. Even can browse their email, instant messages, edit Word documents. We had 1 user who claims ghosts were in her machine .

The link to the relevant article is dead, also could you clarify what you mean by eavesdropping? Perhaps you have been watching too many movies because I think you mean they can activate the microphone on your cell phone with software they have installed. While it is completely possible for the microphone in your cell phone to be remotely activated, you 1. don't need software to do that 2. have to be an agent for the federal government, even then you would have to get a warrant from the court and then present it to the service provider (cell phone company: at&t, nextel, etc...) and then, and only then can the service provider do so... So if your asking can anyone that you work with/against do this? the answer is no, can they read your sms/mms messages left in your phone, go through emails that are left on your phone, then that answer is yes, but only if you have bluetooth enabled on your phone. So to take the path of less resistance, I would advise to keep your phone away from work, if this is not an option, then don't keep it laying around, keep it on you, and smack anyone who gets near it

but do be paranoid, they are all out to get you at any cost! lol
    http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...naturecopy.jpg

You Haven't Lived Until You Have Died...

Att does have software to remotely access any machine connected to it's network without asking the user's permission
    LinenOise, can you elaborate on this topic? I'm curious to what the application is and how it would work to take over a device like Motorola Razor or Sony Ericsson. What command packet can the software send to allow remote access on a 'typical' cellphone? Wouldn't the user notice their device in use?

I would be more accepting of the possibility of this working on smartphones running Windows Mobile or Palm OS (and whatever RIM uses) but I don't understand how that could work on a consumer cellphone.

Thanks
    Knowledge is Power. Never stop learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc the Geek View Post
    LinenOise, can you elaborate on this topic? I'm curious to what the application is and how it would work to take over a device like Motorola Razor or Sony Ericsson. What command packet can the software send to allow remote access on a 'typical' cellphone? Wouldn't the user notice their device in use?
    My bad. I could have been off topic. Yes they do have spy software for both XP and Vista machines. Our department installs the service into every image. I'm sure there are some bluetooth junkies out their that uses that direct networking or dialing feature. If a person goes to a meeting, you can see all shares, devices, and audio with or without the screensaver.

Don't believe......google AMDOCS. enough said.