Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thousands hit in broad Web hack (WoW attack)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Thousands hit in broad Web hack (WoW attack)

Interesting that they seem to be targetting WoW accounts. I wonder if the WoW dongle will help protect or would help protect any compromised attacks. Anyone get hit by this or seen this?

Source: Network World

Hackers have launched a massive Web hacking campaign, putting malicious links on as many as 10,000 servers, security vendor Kaspersky Lab warned Friday.

"We’re estimating that in the last two days alone, between 2,000 and 10,000 servers, mainly Western European and American ones, have been hacked," Kaspersky wrote on its Web site Friday, "It’s not yet clear who’s doing this."

The attackers are most likely using compromised accounts on the Web sites or launching what's known as a SQL injection attack, where hackers trick the Web site's software into inadvertently running malicious commands.

The criminals add a line of JavaScript code onto the hacked sites that redirects victims to one of six servers. These sites, in turn, redirect the visitor to a server in China. That server can launch a variety of attacks, targeting known flaws in Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe's Flash Player and ActiveX, Kaspersky said.

.. read more
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

As far as I've heard the authenticator device is in fact pretty craptastical as this story points out; if its that simple to have the device disassociated with an account then it might as well be magic server dust. Accounts being hijacked in WoW is actually quite common, the forums used to average a high number of posts from hijacked accounts attempting to trick people into going to sites that installed software that would in turn compromise their systems. Oddly enough by applying a little common sense my account has never been hijacked ever, so maybe it just speaks volumes of the retardation of some people that account hacking is so prevalent in the game?
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

I wonder if this is related to the recent upsurge in spamming forums with links to online gaming cheat sites?

I am afraid that I don't have the bawlz to go to any of them and find out

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    That could be part of it. Although on the health forum I look after they've also seen a similar increase but it's more health stuff related.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Those WoW nerds will click anything that appears on there monitors.

also there are a few known so called trainers out there that have malicious content packed into the .exe

i hate WoW with passion. i really do. so part of me is actually happy

Quote Originally Posted by chaosclown View Post
    i hate WoW with passion. i really do. so part of me is actually happy
    Why so? I like Wow. And its naturally a hackers target due to the amount of people playing it
    Learn about Rubik's Cubes HERE

i hate it because people make that game their life. they practically live off of it. it disgust me.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosclown View Post
    i hate it because people make that game their life. they practically live off of it. it disgust me.
    Way to waste energy hating something; if it doesn't directly impact your life you really shouldn't care.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Quote Originally Posted by Syini666 View Post
    Way to waste energy hating something; if it doesn't directly impact your life you really shouldn't care.
    But but if he's not on the WoW hater bandwagon then he wouldn't be kewl for hatin it