Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Updates Screwed Up My Display.

Ubuntu Updates Screwed Up My Display.

I am running Ubuntu 8.04.1, and downloaded the newest updates today. It prompted for a reboot, so I did. But when it came back up, I was stuck with 640x480 graphics. I found a forum that suggested recovery mode, and running xfix, which I did. That got me up to 800x600. I went into my restricted drivers, and reactivated the NVidia driver, restarted the Xserver, and was back to 640x480. So I did xfix again, back to 800x600 as the highest that I could switch to. I downloaded envy, had it autodetect and install my NVidia drivers, back to 640x480. xfix again, back to 800x600. Ran Nvidia-xconfig, then restarted the xserver, and got the little box saying VGA settings not compatible. Reboot, xfix, 800x600. I tried another suggestion that dealt with dkpg, but I cannot seem to find that post now.

I have an old Nvidia MMX 440 PCI video card in the machine in question. It ran fine at 1024x768 for quite a while, but now I have no option above 800x600.

xorg.conf after xfix:

Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
            Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
            Identifier      "Default Screen"
            Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
            Device          "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
            Identifier      "Default Layout"
            Screen          "Default Screen"
    EndSection
    xorg.conf after nvidia-xconfig:

Code:
    Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Unknown"
        HorizSync       30.0 - 110.0
        VertRefresh     50.0 - 150.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes      "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I tried installing legacy drivers with the package manager, but they wouldn't let me get above 800x600 either.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I just got it. I found a post that said to add 'screens and displays' under Applications > Other. I went in there, and it was set to Generic PlugnPlay, I changed that to one that supported 1024x768, and rebooted, changed resolutions in prefs, and I am back in business, I haven't tried out the 3d features, but at least now I know how to get back to the proper resolution as I continually break it .
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I'm glad you found the solution

Right now, I'm using Intrepid Release Candidate with the updated Xorg server and I've found that it starts up much faster, although my touchpad is a little off due to the fact that they took away the synaptics driver from xorg.conf for some reason. Now I can't fine tune my touchpad anymore except through the crappy Mouse menu under preferences

I hope they fix this
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

I just found this article on digg saying that ubuntu has been getting slower since 7.04. The forms on the website seem to point to a flaw in the kernel, since other distros seem to be having the same slow down.
    This is the link to the article with a the test results.
    <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_bench_2008&num=1>

The RC's disappointed me. My gnome-terminal is broken--only xterm allows me to enter my passwd for sudoing.
    The OS world in general needs to stop focusing on pretty graphics and needs to stabilize code. I'm sick of this glossy crap--we need usability.
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by C:\Saw View Post
    The RC's disappointed me. My gnome-terminal is broken--only xterm allows me to enter my passwd for sudoing.
    The OS world in general needs to stop focusing on pretty graphics and needs to stabilize code. I'm sick of this glossy crap--we need usability.
    You are absolutely right. I admit I like the interface to be pleasing to the eye, but I would trade that for increased stability in a heartbeat.

-HST

Quote Originally Posted by C:\Saw View Post
    Download from here:

http://www.slackware.com

Once finished, download the Slack-E-17 Bzip2 files and bunzip2 them, then do a full installation.

When finished, reload X. What you have is Slackware Linux, with Enlightenment DR17 installed. E-17 looks so good you'll think Mac OS X is DOS.

-HST

@ gore

I haven't given slackware a try...I'll see how it goes...

Do I need all three isos?
    Last edited by C:\Saw; October 29th, 2008 at 11:56 PM.
    --Socrates

If you want KDE and X you do. The first one is enough for the base though.