Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft says next Windows won't be as annoying

Not trying to be funny or anything, but wouldn't it be difficult to write a truly "new" OS these days?

Lots of people waiting to sue at the drop of a hat?

Anyway.................Windows95 became Windows98 which was almost as bad...........so we got Windows98SE (hah! that was a pretty good one!) then we get Windows ME (muhahahahahahaha)

Windows XP came along a year later and is pretty good IMO. Then Vista.......... well I ran a test on a couple of boxes that were "old" tech, and it works just fine.

"Annoying!?" It depends what you mean by the word; I have never found security "annoying".............I have been running "nagging" applications for years now, and have only ever had infections on machines that I have deliberately chosen to.
    Last edited by nihil; November 2nd, 2008 at 04:26 PM.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA genius !!!!!!!!!!!

"It's broken? Ship it anyway, let marketing make it out to be the best thing ever. When enough people buy it, stop referring to ti as Vista and just say Windows in the commercials, and then talk about how the new one is going to fix all these issues once and for all, and then everyone tired of these problems that should not be there to begin with, which is probably everyone, will buy it up and be lining up at stores like they did for Windows 95 and we'll be richer than ever!....How? Well we hired that Gentoo Linux guy, put him in the core team for ideas to make it look like Enlightenment, but jack up the hardware needed to use it so that Nvidia, Intel, ATI / AMD and other hardware people will jump up and give us good drivers and not write any for Linux for at least a few months, and also make sure the game makers won't port to Linux by giving them free hardware or buy buying them out or bribing them that way people will HAVE to come to us".....

Totally genius...

Will Dell tell them no when Microsoft offers to certify them as a maker of PCs that are not only good for Windows 7, but that their XPS top of the line crap is going to make games on Windows 7 the most awesome thing ever? Hell no, Dell with be making more money on this deal than they would if Microsoft said to bad.

Is HP going to tell Microsoft they won't stop shipping stuff with Linux on it if Microsoft offers them the same deal? You know, that deal where HP and Dell make drivers themselves for ALL hardware so Windows actually works when it shows up instead of how Linux has to do it, which is by hand by people who normally wouldn't do it?

Think about it; Have you ever installed a boxed off the shelf copy of Windows? I have. It doesn't work very well. The video card has no driver and neither does the monitor, so basically it looks like crap and you have a REALLY low display. And of course any other hardware isn't going to work really well either.

How about bought a new PC with Windows pre-installed? Looks much better doesn't it? Thats' because the restore disks have the drivers to work with Windows already there.

Now how many have installed Linux and out of the box had no problems? Think about it, have you really ever bought a video card that had a drivers CD for Linux or BSD? No? Why would they do that when Microsoft calls up and asks what kind of specs the new Windows should require to run so they sell more systems?

You know my Birthday is this month, maybe I can finally spend some money on something and test a new system out and see how it works now.

Quote Originally Posted by C:\Saw View Post
    Actually, it is the same vista kernel--just improved.

So they are fixing it basically

What? Their putting the FreeBSD Networking code BACK into the kernel?
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Will Dell tell them no when Microsoft offers to certify them as a maker of PCs that are not only good for Windows 7, but that their XPS top of the line crap is going to make games on Windows 7 the most awesome thing ever?
    They need to watch that one IMO. It was a big mistake that they made with Vista and it let unscrupulous OEMs sell equipment as being "Vista ready" when that wasn't really true, unless you were using Home Basic.

Not much excuse for that, given that I have built two perfectly adequate machines using components that would probably cost less than $200 these days.

if it werent for the fact that every peice of software worth owning didnt work with linux, and for the fact that i couldnt figure it out for beans. id have linux right now

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I dont understand, why doesn't M$ bring out a new service pack for Vista to fix it completely.

Its crazy that we will have to buy another OS and licensing.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    I dont understand, why doesn't M$ bring out a new service pack for Vista to fix it completely.

Its crazy that we will have to buy another OS and licensing.
    Are you serious? Get paid for donig it with a new OS or give it away for free AND pay the people to write it? Hell even I'd make you pay for that I'm broke.

Banned
    if it werent for the fact that every peice of software worth owning didnt work with linux, and for the fact that i couldnt figure it out for beans. id have linux right now.
    I'd install if it wasn't the OS of choice for users who'd rather be pissed off with computers in general... as opposed to putting a little more thought into what they're doing.

I'm laughing my way thru this thread since I got some time now.

Fix Vista? Ummm, did MS ever "fix" any of their other OS's? It's
    all relative.

Linux is "the OS of choice for users who'd rather be pissed off
    with computers in general." While it's true I've been frustrated
    by Linux at times, and it's not my first choice for a desktop, I
    find it a far better networking OS than Windows. And it's superb
    for rescues as a live CD. I'd hate to be without it in my reportoire.

I ran Vista on a 128 mb video card, a gig of ram, and a 2.4 ghz
    P4 (pre-HT) and it was a dog. And that was with NO security
    apps, like AV. It didn't play nice until I got it on this shiny new
    T61. I think you have to be a masochist to run Vista on anything
    less than 2 gb's ram and a dual core proc.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers