Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop with serious punch.

Post Laptop with serious punch.

For a 15" laptop to weigh 7.3 pounds and be 1.6 inches thick is to make a statement in today's mobile world where every other model is emulating the heroin chic look you usually see sported by runway models. The C2D 2.26GHz processor, 4GB of PC-5300 DDR2 RAM and a 320GB HDD, partnered with a 512Mb 9800M GS mean that this laptop offers more than just a sturdy exterior. Digital Trends got 45 minutes of battery time going full out, and enabling all the power savings tricks and limiting themselves to surfing only add an hour to the total battery life.

"Asus' G50Vt rolls an impressive array of hardware into a bulky-but-inexpensive package, with a heavy-handed dose of flair smeared on top. While the style might not be for everyone, and battery life makes its wall adapter an essential umbilical cord for use, it offers a very reasonably priced and playable system for those who want to game on the go without dropping thousands on pricy boutique systems."

Aren't forums for discussions not for "posting news." Don't get me wrong you can do what ever you want with a forum but it seems like AO has more spam about "news" then discussions lately...

I agree. Maybe we could have a Tech News forum, but somehow I don't see that working out so well.
    sandwich.

news is about telling you what is new! If you don't have anything new, you don't have discussions therefore you don't really have a forum! Not to mention that he is giving us news for discussion I think it is way too expensive (especially right now) giving what it has hardware wise I am not too impressed. It is following the 64 bit OS trend I am seeing right now though...
    http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...naturecopy.jpg

You Haven't Lived Until You Have Died...

There is a 64bit OS trend?
    I guess I am just fashionably early... since 2003, I have been running a 64bit cpu with a 64bit OS on my desktop.

But anyhow, the battery life for the laptop mentioned seems like it could use a upgrade. Like maybe a different OS...

I received a laptop a month ago for my birthday, and decided to dual boot it with Debian. The laptop battery life is extreme between both Vista and Debian.

Vista has a battery life of about one and a half hours, while the battery life for Debain is about four and a quarter. I do not know if I was putting the laptop through the extreme by testing it with games like Warsow and Alien Arena, but I am sure that the operating system had a lot to do with it.

As for the laptop mentioned having forty five minutes for a battery life, it seems it would be suited as a desktop with a portable battery backup , than a laptop. Something that needs to be constantly plugged in just does not sound like a very good laptop to have.
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by oofki View Post
    Aren't forums for discussions not for "posting news." Don't get me wrong you can do what ever you want with a forum but it seems like AO has more spam about "news" then discussions lately...
    Then why not lead by example and start posting something of worth while discussion...

I do when I have something to talk about instead of trying to force a conversation :-P And I have contributed on AO for a pretty long time with any input I have on a matter. Im just saying tech news is best for digg :-P

@cope57

Here's a great site with a bunch of stuff you already know most likely

For all us linux users: http://www.lesswatts.org/

great site
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

I am with Cope57 on this one. It isn't a true "laptop" in my estimation, but a "portable desktop". Obviously there are plenty of applications for such devices such as teaching, lecturing, site engineering, demonstrations..........basically anywhere that you have a power supply and audio facilities if required.

Other applications I would want a proper lappy with an extended battery life. I guess it is just a case of "horses for courses"?

As it happens, I just bought a laptop.............. an IBM Thinkpad 570E. Nice carrying case, WindersXP Pro, PIII/500 192Mb RAM 12Gb HDD.

I will have to see if I can repair it, as the screen doesn't resolve (backlight works) although it is fine with an external monitor.

I paid $20 for it

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    I paid $20 for it
    Bargain.

you can pick up parts for those thinkpads and it will cost next to nothing for the replacement parts either.

And i expect that you will have no problemo's doing the surgery either johnno.