Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have an iPod Touch?

Question Anyone have an iPod Touch?

Hey, I wasn't sure whether this should go into General Computer Discussions or Chit Chat, so I chose this one.

I was wondering if anyone here has an iPod Touch, and if so, what you think about it.

I have read several reviews, but wanted some other opinions. I am pretty sure that I am going to get one, but I am going to wait until the day after Thanksgiving, to see if there are any deals on the larger capacity models.

At the moment I am hoping to get either the 16GB or the 32GB model. I have never owned an iPod, and have very limited experience with iTunes.

I have a 4GB RCA Lyra, but the battery only lasts about 45 minutes now.

Any input would be much appreciated. Also if you have any suggestions for some good free apps, I am all ears.

Thanks!
    Last edited by westin; November 10th, 2008 at 08:52 PM.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

i have one i use it on a daily base for gym, work etc and its an great tool wireles plus many options i got my 32 gb for only 100 bucks some promotion haha i have no idea what was it but yeah

if you have any specific question ask.
    Un Seen But Well Heard Of

Banned
    I don't have a iPod Touch (I have a "regular" iPod), and my biggest advice is this: save yourself the iTunes DRM hassle, and buy your songs somewhere else (I use Napster - http://sms.napster.com/ns/install/ ). Napster songs are $0.99, and they're not DRM-protected (iTunes songs are $0.99 for DRM-protected songs; some songs are available without DRM, but cost more)... I use iTunes to manage my playlists and to sync with my iPod, but I don't buy their songs anymore..

I dont have an Ipod touch, I do have an Iphone though and as far as I'm concerned its the coolest thing since sliced bread, Im not much of an apple person but they realy did a did a good job on this device. And since I jailbroke it it makes it that much better, the programs that people have writen for it take advantage of its capability real well.

just a side note about something i've noticed if you decide to get a program from the app store, read the reviews. Probably about 50% of the apps are useless crap that they charge for, when in fact the person that made the app should be paying you to install it in your iphone/ipod touch.

Oh and probably the 2 best apps that have been ported over to the ipone/ipod touch are nmap and metasploit.

hope you find my non biased review usefull
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"

I got an Ipod touch. Its very cool. I am looking out for the newest ipod because I find that the Ipod is good for those who watch videos. It can be quite bulky when jogging or when you put it in your pocket.

Tip: Get lots of space! You won't regret it
    Learn about Rubik's Cubes HERE

I guess my biggest questions/concerns are about jailbreaking the device.

First off, will it void the warranty?

With that in mind, is it possible that it will screw the thing up beyond repair, or is there some sort of master reset that I can do.

I am planning on getting a 2G model which I think is running version 2.2?? of the software. I have read that quickpwn should work with this, does anyone have any more information on this?

I don't have a whole lot of money to throw around, so I would hate to buy this, try to jailbreak it, turn it into an iBrick, and find out that my warranty is voided. Though I would love to be able to run 3rd party apps. Thanks for all of the replies. I am positive I am going to get one now, but I am not sure how much I want to modify it.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

well first of all jailbreaking will void your warrenty that is for sure on the other hand i did it my self few times and everything has to be done just right or process wont work and it will eventualy crash your ipod which is no big problem you can doit over an over untill you get it right i guess

jailbreaking will get you frew free apps an cydia on it nothing more i personaly dont care for it i did jailbreak mine an then i did it back restore to normal state every jailbreak will erase everything so you will have to reload songs on it again an do all that work, as i like my songs to be in folders by genre by language and so on it takes long time for me to re do that again so i avoid that other then that awesome lil gadget
    Un Seen But Well Heard Of

I have had the iPod Touch 16 gig for about a year. I love it. It replaced my PDA. It doesn't have everything that I used on the Palm but close enough considering the things I have gained. I used it jailbroken for awhile at the beginning. Now there are so many apps that you can download from the regular interface that I don't keep it jailbroken now. I had no problems doing the jailbreak or moving back to the official version.
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.

Oh and probably the 2 best apps that have been ported over to the ipone/ipod touch are nmap and metasploit
    Forgive my ignorance, but would I have to "Jailbreak" the device to be able to run these apps? I am guessing that they wont be in the app store

-HST

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but would I have to "Jailbreak" the device to be able to run these apps? I am guessing that they wont be in the app store

yes you are correct you would have to jailbreak it in order to get these apps. There are a few network type apps in the app store that sorta do similar things but they are not cheap . Some of the companies that provide these programs have free versions which obviously are limited or have adds in them.
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"