Thread: TrueCrypt

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

TrueCrypt

Hey all,

I thought I would make a completely new post about This software. I decided to test it out after reading another post.

I decided to encrypt my windows partition, i.e when I boot up it asks for a password which is exactly what I want.

My question is - how do I encrypt my partitions so anyone on my network tries to access it they will be asked for a password over and above my AD permissions etc etc.

Also how would it work if they insert the HDD into another PC ...

Thanks.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I haven't ever encrypted an entire partition with TrueCrypt. I usually create an encrypted volume, which you can mount as a local drive. It asks for the password when you mount the encrypted volume. I have a 512MB volume on my thumbdrive that I store some sensitive materials in. It actually just looks like a 512MB file with no extension. You have to have TrueCrypt installed on the system that you are trying to access the volume with, or be running a portable version off of the [or another] thumbdrive. I used KeePass to generate a strong password for it [30+ Characters with added entropy from mouse movements ] ... beyond this setup, I don't have all that much experience with the software.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Hi Cider
    After you've entered your password at the True Crypt boot loader, the hard drive is being decrypted as its being accessed. Windows will still run the typical network services. If you want to encrypt data that could be accessed by others on your network, you should keep an additional True Crypt Volume inside the encrypted drive that you store your data in.

how do I encrypt my partitions so anyone on my network tries to access it they will be asked for a password over and above my AD permissions etc etc.
    Thats not really practical or possible if you are talking about using windows file sharing. You aren't really going to be able to secure it any further, other than disabling it entirely.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Well I encrypted my drive and it asked for a password when I you boot up. I was off sick and they couldnt get into my machine 0_o ... well it works yes but they not very happy though.

Also another question, is it possible to encrypt a drive that if the HDD gets taken out and put into another machine , will they be asked for a password when trying to access it?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

technically it should. especially if it asks you for a password on boot up. which means it hasn't loaded anything up yet. but just to be safe just test it out with another machine