Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghosts typing, computer hackers or funny prank?

Arrow Ghosts typing, computer hackers or funny prank?

Well, this is what happened. The computer lab at my school has this certain copmputer that acts all weird as soon as someone logs on it and starts working on it. Like this week, a girl was typing her projecxt and suddenyl all her stuff started closing, her computer turned off then turned back on by itself and this person openeed microsoft word and taliking to her. He or she even knew her name, but he or she probably got it from her flash drive, which was in the computer. So this person started openieng games and stuff on the computer and the flash drive and playing them while she was freaking out and the teacher was trying to tell us to sit down and stop staring. Then when teh bell rang, the girl told him or her that she had to go becuase the bell rang and the person said "I know bye" and turned off the computer.

If this is a harmless prank, does anyone have any idea how someone connected those two computer's like that?

Yes its a prank.. not a ghost .

One of the other students (more than likely its the teacher) has installed a program like netbus, which opens up a back door and allows anyone that knows to look for it, once they are connected to see the screen, open programs, type, move the mouse, open cd rom etc... It could be remote desktop, vnc, pretty much anything that allows a remote connection and provides a video output. Netbus is probably the most obvious choice as its real small.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetBus

Enjoy
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"

that is a funny joke. i must try that one sometime

I use logmein personally. I installed it on my mother in law's computer so I don't have to drive somewhere every time she breaks something. It's also good for some entertainment every now and then.

Banned
    More likely they're running XP without any normal user accounts setup at all... and someone enabled the remote assistance service.

Disable it: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457177.aspx

More likely they're running XP without any normal user accounts setup at all... and someone enabled the remote assistance service.
    By "normal" I guess you mean restricted or limited? That would be very sloppy for a school I would have thought

Given its functionality RAS would do the job, but I was under the impression that it needed acceptance from the assisted machine user, and created a log?.......... not what you want for a prank I would have thought?

On the other hand, using NetBus, SubSeven or the like will be detected by just about every anti-malware and its aunt.

Banned
    On the other hand, using NetBus, SubSeven or the like will be detected by just about every anti-malware and its aunt.
    Netbus had a master password. At best, it was a nice target worms would use for propagation.

Could be VNC, and installed for a reason, like local IT. We use a version at work and I can't tell you how many times I've remoted in to the wrong PC.

We setup the credentials and there is nothing to interact with the current user when connecting. Older version use a local password, newer version use an encryption plugin that can use network credentials.

So if local tech support installed it for their own use, they might have used a version that anyone with a little knowledge could easily change the password and have fun.

So! It was you who was interfering with my pr0n surfing?

I can't tell you how many times I've remoted in to the wrong PC.
    What worries me is that some 16 year old kid will be facing a felony rap when they find him out. That seems to be about par for the course these days?

Banned
    That seems to be about par for the course these days?
    Read number four on the list.

http://www.ranum.com/security/comput...itorials/dumb/

Boo hoo! You're playing into their grubby palms, nihil.
    Last edited by The-Spec; November 18th, 2008 at 01:52 AM.