Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limewire Forensics

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Limewire Forensics

Just found a great article (.PDF) on Limewire Forensics by Joseph Lethwaite and Victoria Smith:

http://www.dfrws.org/2008/proceeding...lewthwaite.pdf

It includes great info about fileurns.cache and limewire.props

Hope you find it useful...
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

That's cute... Windows XP strikes again. Noobies use Limewire and Bearshare. TOR networks are the coolest. You can write President Bush email with that network. huh? *checkmate*

I really don't see what this has to do with
    Windows XP
    .......... it is about FORENSICS............. that's where an investigator is faced with a fait accompli not a choice. So, if Limewire or Bearshare is what youv'e got, that's what you run with.

As for Tor............. this is what they have to say about themselves:

There are three pieces of fine print you need to know about.

1. Tor does not protect you if you do not use it correctly. Read our list of warnings and make sure to follow the instructions for your platform carefully.
    2. Even if you configure and use Tor correctly, there are still potential attacks that could compromise Tor's ability to protect you.
    3. No anonymity system is perfect these days, and Tor is no exception: you should not rely solely on the current Tor network if you really need strong anonymity.
    Ipse Dixit?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    I really don't see what this has to do with.......... it is about FORENSICS............. that's where an investigator is faced with a fait accompli not a choice. So, if Limewire or Bearshare is what youv'e got, that's what you run with.
    Forensics, eh? More like think like a theif. One can tell every bootleg or Commericial encrypted DVD inserted into a Linux Machine. Here's a free answer......look inside directory .dvdcss. Everything which was written using Intermediate Programming can be decoded and analyzed (ie, .net framework\ java...etc). Cops are script kiddies....programmers are serial killers in their little world.

I don't need a keyboard nazi to provide me with a definition.

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    and so it begins

Quote Originally Posted by Linen0ise View Post
    Forensics, eh? More like think like a theif.
    Did you read the article?

One can tell every bootleg or Commericial encrypted DVD inserted into a Linux Machine. Here's a free answer......look inside directory .dvdcss. Everything which was written using Intermediate Programming can be decoded and analyzed (ie, .net framework\ java...etc).
    What does this statement have to do with anything? It's completely irrelevant.

Cops are script kiddies....
    Been a while since I've been called that... However, I will admit that I'm a n00b, and will be for the rest of my life. There is no such thing as an expert, and anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something. BTW, only a skiddie would start a flame war over a forensics article.

programmers are serial killers in their little world.
    My world is quite far-reaching, thank you.

I don't need a keyboard nazi to provide me with a definition.
    I think if there's anyone on here who doesn't fit the definition of a nazi, it would be Nihil...

Please, do us a favor and just... don't post anymore. Whatever your "actual" situation may be, you are presenting yourself only as an idiot.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Now now.

Let's keep the personal stuff out of the thread please. Personal Attacks are not tolerated and if it continues then some members will be put in time-out for a while.

With that said everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but sometimes it's just best to remember if you do not have something nice to say then don't say it.

t34b4g5...

... So anyways, back on to the thread subject...

This is a pretty cool document. I took a couple computer forensics classes in college (Stuff like storing info in the unused parts of floppies and programs etc) and i thought they were awesome and wanted to get more into it but never found that outlet. Limewire forensics was definitely not covered in those classes though but it is a pretty interesting read.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mungyun; December 20th, 2008 at 12:00 AM.
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

Very true,

This is the Computer Forensics forum, so forensics discussions belong, and are welcome here?

We still have to accept that >90% of humanity uses Windows, so I would suggest that the article has current relevance on the grounds that this is the most likely operating system for a forensics investigator to encounter.
    Last edited by nihil; December 21st, 2008 at 08:58 AM.

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Well, I found it to be both informative and humerous...of course I'm also bored out of my mind.

Also, my hex > your binary.

Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

Hmmmmm,

Looks like some failed banana republic bank card to me.................. ah! I forgot........... we have those in New York and London these days?

Happy New Year