Migrating to a New ISP and Need Advice

Thread: Migrating to a New ISP and Need Advice

Migrating to a New ISP and Need Advice

Looking to migrate to a new ISP. Problem is that a number of partners have point-to-point VPN connections configured with the static IP address assigned by our current ISP.

Has anyone been through this? Am I going to be forced to contact our partners to configure a new VPN endpoint address? Is it possible to lease or purchase the current IP address assigned to my organization? Any other suggestions/options?

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    Looking to migrate to a new ISP. Problem is that a number of partners have point-to-point VPN connections configured with the static IP address assigned by our current ISP.

Has anyone been through this?
    Yes.

Am I going to be forced to contact our partners to configure a new VPN endpoint address?
    Unfortunately, yes.

Is it possible to lease or purchase the current IP address assigned to my organization?
    No, the 'old' IP address is assigned to the other ISP, can't change that.

Any other suggestions/options?
    Don't switch ISPs too often But seriously, see if you can keep the 'old' ISP account for a little longer. That will give you time to transition your clients from one ISP to another while still keeping your business running. If and when everything's done cancel the old ISP account.
    Last edited by SirDice; December 10th, 2008 at 05:23 PM.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.